Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Want something to read? FAQ!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Joris, Aug 17, 2001.

1. The TB Amps FAQ. Here's the preliminary version. It took longer than I expected, and it's not even remotely finished, but still I want some feedback. And maybe, now that an outline has been made, other teckheads feel they have to write parts too. And I hope they will. That'd be très :cool:

The file is a zipped Word 2k document.

2. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Wow Joris. Wow!

I haven't thoroughly read through it, mostly because most of it is way over my head, but that's an amazing document you put together.

3. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    Hey, Joris! I just downloaded it and gave it a quick look-over. It looks really good, and I like the formatting and structure very much. It looks like a professional presentation. I've been really busy these days, but I'll continue looking at it and see whether I can offer any suggestions. I note that some sections still need to be filled out, and I might contribute some ideas for those.

One thing I should mention is that if you are using any copyrighted material, you should both give references (perhaps in footnotes) and ask permission to use them. For example, the cut-way diagram of the dynamic loudspeaker looks publisher-quality. If it is your creation - WOW! If not, you might need to get permission to use it. I make these comments only in the spirit of protecting you and/or TalkBass. I'm not a lawyer, so that's all I can offer.

I think you are doing the TalkBass community a tremendous service! Thank you for your excellent work! :)

- Mike

4. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    *cough*

All I can say is.........

Wow

:):D

5. Well, the text doesn't contain any literal quotes, but I'll add footnotes in the final version. For example some parts of the the amp classes description I got from QSC's Amptalk article. I'll mention it. The speaker diagram is drawn in CorelDraw6 and screen-captured. Turned out pretty O.K. I've made a technical drawing or two. So maybe I should put in: (C) Joris. I like the look of that.

Later. Give me suggestions if you got'em. I don't want to take full credit for the whole article. I couldn't handle it. And besides, I mentioned before: it shouldn't be written by a single person. TB is, after all, a community (and some community it is!)

6. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Joris - thanks for that info! 11 pages of technical detail that I don't really understand, but will look through. It must have taken a lot of effort, and this is appreciated! :)

7. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Nice one, Joris! Just when I thought the FAQ had died in the arse... :D

When I spoke to Paul about it a few weeks ago, he said that he'd be happy to put it up on the site, and have a prominent link to it. So, when it's finished, let me know and I'll send it to him.

Really, well done and thanks for spending so much time on it. And, of course, I'll be happy to take some or all of the credit for it... :eek:;)

8. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

It's excellent for a veteran amp user like me. I almost understood most of it! :eek: I saved it to disk.

But if the target audience is a relative newbie, I think it's too intimidating. I think Bass Guitar's post is significant. The FAQ starts off with understanding electricity and with formulas. If I referred a newbie there, I think they'd get turned off and ask the question anyway, in spite of the top notch info that's there. Just my 2 cents.

9. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Bravo.... Bravo..... Bravo.....

That is great... I only had a brief opportunity to look through it, but it is pretty cool. If in the future you need someone to look through a doc like that for writing, grammar, punctuation, etc., let me know, I have done some professional writing (of the tech nature, not the creative) in the past, and studdied it in school... Just give me a holler!

:D

10. A very good point, rickbass1 & P.O.T.! I should change the order of the chapters. Start with "types of bass amplification". Raise interest first, and hope they will read on thinking: all right, I understood everything in the first chapter, let's see if I can dig through this. Good thinking!

By the way. If you decide to copy it and put it somewhere for everybody to download, please do the "credit" thing: mention my name. And of course the names of other contributors. None for now, soon to change, huh guys?

I won't be working on it for some time now. My holidays are over as of this monday. Don't think I spent every waking hour writing this stuff. I worked on it for about 15 minutes a day or so.

And for me, it's a way to put lots of things I know in writing. (Hey, does that make me a writer?)

Please make suggestions here, or email me a part you wrote. I have a severe gap in tube technology, so I'll definately need help there. Plus, English is not my mother tongue, so please check my grammar and spelling (pmkelly?) and BE PICKY!

Later.
    J

11. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX

I think that for the most you have better English/grammar than most of the English speaking members here. Thats kinda sad, actually:(

12. rickbass

Aw shucks, I used to do that kind of thinking for a living, researching and developing training materials for professional development.

I know how hard it is to try and step back from what you know and put yourself in a newbie's shoes when you're a content expert.

I mean, how long has it been since we asked ourselves, "Why does this amp have two volume controls?:confused:

13. Well, why does it have two volume controls? Enlighten me! :D

14. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    Jeezus dude, do you have any idea what you've done?

You've written what will be when complete, a musician's bible. A definitive source of reference that will be a must have for all.

You are going to make a ton of money and you will deserve every penny.

Now, stop telling everyone about it and stop giving it away or someone else is going to eat your lunch.

And allow me the honor of BUYING the first copy.

It's so friggin' cool!

15. rickbass

"Well, it's one louder, isn't it? ...You see, most blokes, you know, will be playing at 10. You're at 10 here, all the way up...Where can you do from there?...If we need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do?...."
    - Nigel Tufnel

16. Want my peanut butter sandwiches? :D:D

17. I realize that it is incomplete, but I think that it is a bit too complex to acheive the desired result. It may be best to save the complex formulas and theory for an appendix towards the end, and have the bulk of the FAQ, answer questions like "are tube watts louder than solid state watts?" in layman's terms. If I remember correctly, the object was to have a go-to document so we are not constantly explaining the differences between a combo amp and a rack system to newbies every two days. This document, while very impressive as is, may be a tad too technical for the average thirteen year old.

But otherwise, good job!

18. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    LMAO!!!:D :D

I just got done watching that movie.

19. APouncer

APouncer

Nov 3, 2000
    Lancashire, UK
    I cant open this document, but it sounds like it's exactly what I need. When I tried, I selected WinWord but it all came through as gobbledygook. I'm not very computer minded so could anyone help? Thanks in advance.