1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Want suggestions for 5-string nickel roundwound in 45/65/85/105/125

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by DLM, Apr 25, 2009.

1. DLM

DLM

May 25, 2004
    California
    I've been using Fender 7250s and am searching for another brand where the low-B string has more definition. There are quite a few sets that contain a 130 or 135 gauge B, but I'm only interested in ready-made sets with a 125 B. I'm also impartial as to whether the B string is tapercore.

If it matters, the strings are for a Hanewinckel with Bart soapbars and 18v preamp.

What do you suggest given my requirements? Thanks!

2. try DR strings

they have a 125 B string and i would never use other strings after trying DR's

3. DLM

DLM

May 25, 2004
    California
    Thanks. I've used their nickel Sunbeams and Lo-Riders on my 4-string in the past, but not on my 5'er. Which set has the more defined low B?

4. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    I would take a look at Labella if you are having B string definition issues. I have not played their nickels but I love their steel B string that is a 128 taper. I personally prefer the Pedulla variant of the Labella product which also has tapers on B thru D. These would be for a 34" scale bass with termination at the bridge. Close to the gauge you mention is the Carvin nickel strings made by Labella which are $15 a set (45-65-85-105-128). The B is tapered I believe.

I have tried Nickel Low Rider and Steel Low Rider 130 Bs without a whole lot of success (Nickel on a Q5 and Steel on a L2500).

5. DLM

DLM

May 25, 2004
    California
    Thanks. Which model LaBella do you specifically recommend?

6. DLM

DLM

May 25, 2004
    California
    Anyone have experience with nickel R. Cocco strings? I see they come with a 125 B, as well.

7. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    Labella Slappers or Pedulla Nickels. And the Carvins look good for the money. I have heard some say they are nearly identical to Slappers.