1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Want to add a 15" cab with existing two 12's to the mix..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dbase, Oct 28, 2018.

1. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    I have an LH500 amp and two 2x12's. My rig of choice. Lately I've had GAS thinking about adding a Hartke HD115 for more low end.
    So, If I buy a Hartke LH1000 (because it has two separate 500 watt amps), I could drive the 2x12's on one side and the 15" on the other. However the LH1000 output is 4 ohms. The 15" is 8 ohms and not switchable. I could run just one 12" set for 8 oms + the 15" and get full wattage from the LH500. Then I wouldn't need the LH1000.
    But.. I want to use all that I have. No .. I don't want to use two amps.
    What to do?

oZZma likes this.
  2. Get two 12s that have more low end than your current ones and call it good with just two 12s as you have been.

Or just turn your bass knob a bit more if your current ones will handle it.
    No need to lug another cab.

3. redstrand

redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    Two twelves and a fifteen can sound glorious. Funny part is the 2x12 is roughly the same size as the fifteen. Granted I have two channels with one going to each cab to make the ohmage work 7F940A4E-559A-4D95-A42E-165A3C8AA983.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  4. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    How is a single 15 going to have more low end than a 2x12?

Lobster11, MrLenny1, mcnach and 4 others like this.
  5. 500 watt amp and a four 12” speakers?
    That’s got to be pretty darn loud?

Is there any reason other than drool that you want to add a 15 to this setup?
    (What causing the gas?)

dbase likes this.
  6. He grew tired of the standard 12 inch sub sandwiches and heard that the new Deli down the street had a 15 inch sub sandwich. He tried it and now... drool

Still love you dbase. :cool:

MrLenny1, Wisebass, agedhorse and 4 others like this.
  7. It’s not the size of pepper in the the bite. It’s the size of the bite in the pepper. :wacky:

8. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Why do you think a 15” will add more low end?

As a side note, most rigs have plenty of low end available and ironically, low bass response is often improved by adding an HPF in the chain.

9. Rick James

Rick James

Feb 24, 2007
    New Jersey
    He said he has two 2x12. A 115 won't add a thing to them.
    Because 15 is bigger than 12? :hyper:

If his 2x12s are guitar speakers then adding a 15 might be worthwhile. If they're good bass speakers it's a waste of cartage.

10. dbase

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    see...thats what i want to hear... opinions..i recently used a 15 and forgot how good they sounded. my 12s are great so i thought adding a 15 would satisfy me. but nooooooo. you guys talked me out of it.. you sound like my wife. yes mr. big...a 15 in sub is w h at i really want ;)
    my band is extreemly loud and the lh500 hokds its own... but i feel like buying stuff.

11. Now you sound like MY wife. :roflmao:

12. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Oh, there's no shortage of that around here, for sure! :roflmao:

Wisebass, Dabndug, Pbassmanca and 2 others like this.
  13. dbase

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    20170213_155211.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  14. oZZma

oZZma

Sep 13, 2018
    IT
    I'd like to know if there is a solution too
    I have a 4 ohm head and two 8 ohm cabs, I was thinking to buy a third cab just to try if I like better 1*15 + 2*10 or just two 2*10, but if there is a way to run them all together safely it would be too cool

15. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011

IMHO, Here's the most important part: It would be a good idea to confirm your HD112s will play well with an HD115, before you drop a bunch of cash. There is no guarantee that dissimilar speakers will work well together because they may have drastically different phase and group delay characteristics.

If the speakers work well together, you can run both HD112s on one side of the LH1000 and then run the HD115 off the other side. Use the balance control to match volume between the 12s and 15 and be careful not to overpower the 15. The LH1000 is rated for 2 ohm loads, but a potential problem is it doesn't make big power in dual mono mode.

Specs:
    LH500: 500 watts @ 4 ohms, 350 watts @ 8 ohms
    LH1000: Dual Mono Mode 2 x 225 watts @ 8 ohms , 2 x 320 watts @ 4 ohms, 2 x 545 watts @ 2 ohms
    Bridge Mode 1 x 750 watts @ 8 ohms , 1 x 1100 watts @ 4 ohm​

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
    dbase, wildman2 and Pbassmanca like this.
  16. littlebooner

littlebooner

Jan 27, 2012
    Kelowna, BC
    It's good to know that your rig can keep up with a loud band. I have the same setup except with HA5500 instead of the LH500. I have my first full practice with a new band next weekend and was hoping my rig would hold up. Those Hydrives sure sound awesome. I actually have been turning the tweeter off on the lower cab and keeping the top at full.

Out of curiosity, which bass do you play with that setup?

dbase and Pbassmanca like this.
  17. I find both my 412 cabs to be way more bassy than my 2 115 cabs.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  18. The 15 won't carry anymore low end. I would get a subwoofer, and an amp with a crossover if you really think you want/need it. Or, an amp that handles 2ohm loads, and another 212s. Or, just come to the realization that the bottom end isnt supposed to come from your bass. The reality is, that 15" speakers dont automatically carry more bottom. My 12s go lower, better than most. I eq the tail end off. I also plugged my ports on one 212 to help get rid of the boom. It's the last thing anyone wants/needs on stage. But, do what you want.

19. Get a Barefaced 212 and you will have all the lows in a cab you can 1 hand carry. $$$ though.

20. dbase

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    I was thinking the same as you with that configuration... the speaker outputs on the back of the LH1000 says 4ohms. So I though I could only plug a 4ohm speaker into it.. the HD115 is 8 ohms.. So your saying I can get away with that?