1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Want to add a bridge pickup to a P bass. Need help on placement.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Philthy, Sep 27, 2013.

1. Philthy

Philthy Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2001
    Flanders, NJ
    Hi,

I have a Squier Vintage Modified P bass and I'd like to add a bridge pickup to it. I'm either thinking of a jazz bridge pickup or a MM pickup.

Can someone advise on the correct placement of the j pickup and MM pickup? How to go about figuring out the distance, etc.

Much appreciated! Thanks.

The bass looks like this:

[​IMG]

2. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD Supporting Member

May 20, 2005
    Norman, OK, USA
    Well...the "correct" placement is basically wherever you want it.

If you're after 'period correct', then it might be useful to know which period, and which bass. 70s j?

The MM "sweet spot" places the center of the pickup between 88% and 90% of the scale length away from the nut, which is between 4.08" and 3.4" away from the forward-most saddle.

3. Philthy

Philthy Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2001
    Flanders, NJ
    If I go with an MM in the bridge position; ceramic or alnico? I have Dimarzio model P's in it now. I want to keep it passive.

4. FunkyMan

FunkyMan

Nov 27, 2007
    I recently did this same job for a customer in my shop, and i routed the cavity in 70's placement (32" from nut to center of the poles of the jazz pickup) it went pretty good, i think it's the most balanced option since too close to the bridge will give you a very midrangy tone with less bottom, and the 60's position is too close to the P pickup, so it will be almos like a "dual coil" pickup in 1 placement! my 2 cents

5. Duckwater

Duckwater

May 10, 2010
    USA, Washington
    How about another P pickup?