Want To Attract More Women? Carry a Guitar Case

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by dtripoli, Jun 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. dtripoli

dtripoli

Aug 15, 2010
    CA
    Psychology Today
    Showcasing your creativity may enhance your sex appeal.
    Why is creativity attractive? The authors believe it may signal good genes or intelligence. They also propose that creativity in women may attract men; however, they did not test that possibility in this study. Musical creativity may also be attractive to women. Guéguen et al. (2014) found that men were more likely to obtain women’s phone numbers for a date when carrying a guitar case than when carrying a gym bag or nothing. Again, these authors postulate that musical talent may signal good genes or intellectual ability.

I highly doubt a bass player is going to lug his bass around all the time in hope of attracting female attention
    but mentioning you are a working musician does seem to curry interest.

DB.jpg DB2.jpg

tangentmusic, BBQisgood and BassCliff like this.
  2. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    Attract women?
    Not if you're broke down on a lonely highway

IMG_1064.JPG

3. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

I went to college one day with my guitar in a gig bag slung over my shoulder with a leather jacket on.
    When folks asked, I told them I was Lou Reed. It was Halloween & Lou had just died. I thought the blue mask would clue them in, but only one professor got it. He's my age.

Anyway, I got asked about the guitar quite a bit throughout the day & if I were so inclined I probably could have segued it into a date or a hook-up.

RaggaDruida and Hahaha like this.
  4. Hahaha

Hahaha

Sep 26, 2003
    Olympia, WA USA
    Carrying a bass or guitar around in public makes me feel self-conscious. I don't like the attention. I've never understood why so much of the general population thinks there is something special about being a musician.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  5. dtripoli

dtripoli

Aug 15, 2010
    CA
    I don't understand it either but let's not spoil the illusion, it's working for most of us. lol

RaggaDruida, hrodbert696 and Hahaha like this.
  6. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    My experience is it attracts drunk weirdos who claim they used to be in the Sex Pistols.

Seriously, if there's a drunk nutter nearby, carrying a guitar case is the no.1 top tip for ensuring they decide to come over and rant at you.

No Penthouse reader letter style action for me :(

DirtDog, JACink and PJFlatts like this.
  7. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    One of the reasons I started playing was to attract women... but then I realized I don't like the women that are attracted to musicians. Or at least bassists :)

8. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    A puppy works even better, just sayin'

9. Killed_by_Death

On the beach it's best to be eating a banana while casually walking on the shoreline . For some reason that intrigues people, especially on a nude beach.

Son of Wobble likes this.
  10. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    I'm dubious, but based on your recommendation, I'll give it a try.

11. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Dude, your beach trick worked !

That's right, I found true love... And it is all thanks to K_B_D.

884d3a5625b984a9493f062cdb4d18ab.jpg

12. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    @Killed_by_Death

As an admittedly small token of thanks for your romantic advice, I have recommended you as bass player
    to my friend Tom, who is the tour manager for Katy Perry. It would be a really great gig for you...
    the parts are simple and the crowds go mental. N promises, of course, but I told Tom you would really enjoy the position.

B7v6X5KIAAEebHZ.jpg

13. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    I have only been approached once about a bass guitar bag I carried. By an elderly woman. Who had no idea what a bass guitar is.

Son of Wobble likes this.
  14. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    That's a start. Keep swingin', Slugger!

RaggaDruida, Nashrakh and fttfbass like this.
  15. Killed_by_Death

Ha, that happened to me also. An older lady asked me what that was, because it looks like a guitar bag, only bigger :smug:

Nashrakh likes this.
  16. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    I believe there's a big double standard depending on your point of view. We bassists (some of us anyway) are particularly disadvantaged:

"Undesirable"

double-bass-strap-black.jpg

"Desirable" (in this example, succeeds because the bassist ditched the case?)

74a2a0783ad26c14517bbcd7600c2eab--double-bass-psychobilly.jpg

hrodbert696 and Son of Wobble like this.
  17. Can anyone here tell me where I might obtain a couple cloth sacks with large dollar signs printed on them?

I already have piles of junk mail and over-due bills to put in them so they look like they are full of money.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
    RaggaDruida and hrodbert696 like this.
  18. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Unfortunately, I have found there is one thing that attracts women in the mood for physical contact more than any guitar, fat wallet, stage lights, boats, whatever.....

.....a wedding ring.

Seriously, I got hit on a lot when I was a musician for a living. I got hit on for being in a fancy boat (that wasn't even mine). I got hot on when I had muscles moreso than now.

I never got hit on more than I do now....and I'm just an average dad wearing a wedding ring.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
  19. Killed_by_Death

Well, if you're overheating, maybe you're undergoing "the change" :smug:

Hahaha and two fingers like this.
  20. Ant Illington

Ant Illington I'm Anthony but I'm only illin' Inactive

I once walked into a place with a band that had a female drummer who was great. It was then that understood why a lot of women find musical talent attractive in a man.

RaggaDruida likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 8, 2021