1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Want to buy a .22LR pistol

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Armueller2001, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Armueller2001

Armueller2001

Sep 19, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    This gun isn't going to be for defense, I've got others for that purpose... I just want something that I can take to the range and put a few hundred rounds through it without breaking the bank. Probably going to buy used. The models I'm really interested in are-

S&W 422
    S&W 2206
    Sig Mosquito
    Walther P22
    Ruger MKIII

Does anyone have experience with any of these guns? I'm trying to stay under $300, and would like one that will accept the cheapest ammo available... I've heard the Walthers are a bit finicky when it comes to using cheap ammo.

Thanks

2. doctorjazz

doctorjazz

Oct 22, 2006
    Wilmington, NC
    I can vouch for Ruger, I've got a MkII Target model that I like taking to the range. It's reliable, easy to shoot, and it's really accurate.

3. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Can't go wrong with those Rugers.

I'm a HUGE fan of those little 22 autos! Something about them just makes me smile :D

IMG_0272.

TwoWoodsmen.

The 5" 1911 here is actually a Service Model ACE - a .22LR 1911! How cool is that?

Colts-OfficerandAce-1.

4. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    Ruger.

5. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    +1 on the Ruger.

6. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

Mar 4, 2005
    NJ
    Yep.

I have a MKI and a MKII Target and they're great guns.

7. CZ 75 Kadet

8. My dad has a Browning Buckmark that he loves. I've done some shooting with it as well, and it's a fine little plinker.

9. I'm surprised no one has said Ruger yet.

10. Georynn

Georynn

Dec 4, 2007
    Memphis,Tn
    Another vote for a ruger mark II. Get one with the bull barrel, if you are sport shooting. I have one with adjustable sights, its VERY accurate for a double deuce...

11. [​IMG]

Picture from the web - mine has more holster rash but in otherwise fine condition. Yeah, not an actual recommendation but I inherited this from my pops and it's the first handgun I ever fired. I'm rather fond of it. Dad always wished he had bought the .22 mag cylinder for it and I wish that he had.

I've got a MkII Govt as well and there is something to be said for having the single action making you pause between shots, so maybe this is a recommendation after all. Ruger has some similar style guns for sale.

12. Every year at the SHOT Show, I stop by the Freedom Arms booth and check out their revolvers. I would LOVE to have one of their .22's, they're precision works of art :) One of these days............;)

13. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

Mar 4, 2005
    NJ
    Don't know if you'd consider a revolver, but I also have a 6" S&W 617 which is not only beautiful, but a total tack driver.

14. progrmr

progrmr

Sep 3, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Ruger MkIII FTW - GREAT shooter, super accurate, cheap to shoot and fun.

15. Scionreality

Scionreality

Dec 18, 2007
    Akron, Ohio
    I've got a couple of Rugers and really like them. The only .22LR I have of theirs is the 10/22.

However, I've fired my uncle's MKII Target and it was very nice, and my dad's Single 6 (both .22LR and .22 MAG) is also very nice. I would buy one or the other if I wasn't spending my money on bass stuff for now. :bassist:

16. I have a Ruger Standard Model (aka: MK I, predecessor of the MK II), a Llama .22 (miniature version of 1911 .45 ACP) and a S&W model 34 "Kit Gun" with 4' bbl.

Personally I like revolvers becuse I hate spraying brass around when I shoot. The S&W Model 34 is a sweet little .22, and is pretty darn accurate. It's also as dependable as a hammer, easy to carry and shoot, and VERY easy to clean. I have a set of Mustang grips for it that have a bit of a right-handed thumbrest and it's a great pleasure to shoot.

The Llama is a fun shooter, although most of the Llama 1911 copies have the reputation of being picky about ammo- mine is as well. When it's shooting something it doesn't like, I have hang-fires every 30 or 40 rounds. But it's compact, has both a grip and thumb safety, and I REALLY like the way it fits my hand.

The Ruger is the most dependable and most accurate, although it's the hardest to load because of its magazine and mag release design. ALSO - my Mk II has a very sharp front blade sight that will hook on the lining of a holster and tear it out. If you go the Ruger route, get a holster that either is unlined or that has a plastic track for the front sight. my Ruger (inherited from my dad, probably 50 years old) is not at all picky about the ammo you shoot.

If you want a REAL Cadillac of a .22, save up for a Colt Diamondback with 4" barrel. They take a while to find but they are wonderful. When you have a Diamondback, semi-autos are for the less fortunate. (harrumph, harrumph.)

I have a 4" Diamondback in .38 SPL and would love to have the companion .22. It's just money that gets in the way.

17. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    +1 to the S&W 617 or you can look for the older Model 17 (aka K-22) or 18.

I myself have the aforementioned Model 17(top), a Model 43(bottom) and a Model 41. I highly recommend the 41 if you can stand the price tag. This pistol wins Camp Perry matches stock out of the box.

[​IMG]

18. mrokern

mrokern TB's resident Rush freak

Jul 20, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    I've got a Smith 22A that is a great performer, but of the list you have above, I'm going to say Ruger. :)

-Mark

19. I wish that I could just head out to some nearby gravel pits and shoot like I did in the good ole days. Even used to run into LE officers doing the same when I was real young and went with my dad. I wouldn't risk it now, it would probably bring out Homeland Security and the Black Helicopters.

Edited to add: Wheelguns rawk.