Want to buy a new bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Spikeh, Apr 4, 2005.

1. Spikeh

Spikeh Sex Strings

Hi all - I've spent the last few days reading through the FAQs and forums - some very informed people here with strong opinions! There's obviously a lot of experience and knowledge around here, so I'm hoping I'll get a better idea of what I should do here...

Anyway... on to my dilemia. I'm kinda new to bass playing - been playing for about 2 years, and I'm starting to get fed up with the limitation of my current bass. I have very large hands - one of the reasons for me taking up the bass was that I couldn't get my fingers on a guitar string without touching an adjacent one, not to mention the fact that I've always tuned into basslines in all the music I listen to and I just love the use of funky bass in songs.

I'm mainly inspired by RHCP, RATM, Incubus and Victor Wooten and want to really get into slap bass. I can slap a little on my current set up (4 string Westfield P-Bass with 20W Peavey Amp), but I just don't seem to get the sound I want out of it - the G and D strings are hardly audible even at full gain.

I've been trying some new basses this weekend - picked up a Fender Jazz Bass, an Ibanez (possibly an SR model) and a Yamaha (an Active / Passive BB model). Now, the Fender was the first I tried, and it felt sooooooo nice... didn't like the Ibanez at all, although the action was set far too low and I was getting a lot of fret noise so I didn't really give it the time of day. I loved the different tones I could get out of the Yamaha, but it didn't feel as near as nice as the Fender to hold and play... the Yamaha looked the sexiest of them all :)

Tried slapping on both the Yamaha and Fender, they both sounded great - although I would have to say the Fender felt nicer to slap / play all round. The Yamaha's active features made the sound a little crisper and louder, but for the time being I'm not really after gain until I start gigging.

I know it sounds like I've already made my mind up... but I was wondering what you all thought of Fenders / Yamahas (or any other make!) for slapping / popping. I really wanted to go for a Modulus Quantum 4 - but my price limit is around £500 (I think that comes out at about $800 - $1000?).

I can actually afford the Quantum, but I don't want to until I'm much better at bass!

Anyway, any comments would be great - wanting to buy / order a new bass in the next week or so.
  2. Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    Yamaha and Fender both make very good basses. Typically, people either love Fenders, or hate them completely, there is no middle man (I personally dont like the big bodies) Yamaha, in my opinion makes some of the most underrated basses ever. I've never played a terrible Yamaha.

Pretty much, we arent going to tell you want to buy, since its your bass. But I'd recommend you check out Warwick (NOT Rockbasses), Spector, and the Geddy Lee Jazz (It has a maple fretboard with black block inlays).
  3. +1 on the Geddy Lee and Spector

with some clever EQ and pick up selection i can get a very similar slap sound to that of the Fender Jazz, (on me spector) more bridge pickup etc!!
  4. Spikeh

Spikeh Sex Strings

I almost bid on a Warrick Fortress One on e-bay... loved the look of it and reviews online seemed pretty sound...

Like the look of the Geddy Lee bass... gonna have to get some Rush songs and see what they're like.

Not heard too much about Spectors, I'll see if any of the local dealers have any in stock and give them a go...
  5. Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    Spectors are very good, if you find one play it, and if you like it, you may want to check the classifeds here, they have some used ones (Mint condition) for really good prices
  6. Also, due to the fact that
    A.) You have big meatpaws, and...
    B.) You want to slap/pop

you want a wider string spacing. I'm NOT a Fender guy at all so I really can't say. I do know the Yamahas that I've played have decent spacing. Some of the Ibanez line have really narrow spacing. At that price range, I think the Ibanzez BTB series would be worth looking into. Wide spacing, and a great bass, IMO.

Oh, BTW, how many strings are you lookin' for?

Remember though. it's all about feel. Out of a bunch of opinions NONE may be right to you, though. Listen to all of the input on here, then try out EVERYTHING you can. Your bass is out there somewhere!

Good luck!!! :)
  7. Check out the Rush albums Counterparts, Test for Echo, Vapor Trails, Different stages, Rush in Rio. The last 2 are live.

Bear in mind tho that Mr Lee runs his bass through various 'devices', pre-amps, speaker simulators etc. that he gets quite a unique tone...

I believe Counterparts was recorded with his Jazz straight into an old Ampeg so that would probably give the purest example from the above list.

They have gat thinner necks so try one first!
  8. chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    Another thing to keep in mind is resale value. Fender will always have great resale value, as long as it's not too beat up. The difference in price between a new Geddy Jazz and a used one is like....$150 maybe?
  9. Spikeh

Spikeh Sex Strings

Listened to some Rush today - I'll go and get an album / download some tracks or something and listen to them in a bit more depth this week sometime. Although I have a wide taste, Rush don't seem to be by my kind of music so I might find it hard to listen to the bass without cringing ;P

Looking for a 4 string - but need at least 21 frets (some of the RHCP stuff I like to jam to uses the high end from the tabs I've been getting), scale doesn't really bother me. I've learnt on a 4 string so far, and I don't actually see the benefit of getting a 5 string for the time being.

Been pricing up the Fender Jazz Bass, both Active and Passive versions today... but still debating trying more this weekend (can't get down during the week).

That was another thing about the Yamaha... it was 2 octaves! 24 frets, so that was another plus... it seems there were more plusses to the Yamaha, but I loved the feel of the Fender... Argh :(

Not too bothered about the resale value tbh - you'll all see me in some great rock band sometime in the next 5 years, and whatever bass I choose will be worth millions :p:p Hehe... I wish!

Honestly, the resale doesn't make me worry too much - I intend to get many years out of this bass and cherrish every last splinter of it :D