Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

want to buy a new Precision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassmutt, May 8, 2004.

1. bassmutt

bassmutt

Mar 22, 2004
    Hello,

I want to buy a new Precision bass, but was wanting any opinions on Fender's current line of USA Precisions.

any neck problems?

should I stay clear of Fender?

are there any good P-Bass clones? I'm wanting that simple P-Bass pickup with passive volume and tone controls. no Jazz pup at the bridge or humbuckers or active electronics.

thanks!

2. I have never had any problems with them.

3. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    bassmutt welcome to TB. Before buying a P bass you want to try it out. Traditional P basses have a wide neck while most clones (and some Fenders) have a narrower J bass neck. You want to find out which width works best for you. For example, a '62 reissue has a 1 3/4" neck while a J will have 1 1/2". I notice the P Standard is now 1 5/8" (sorta splits the difference).

4. ivanthetrble

ivanthetrble

Sep 9, 2002
    Orygun
    If you want a P-bass better than the average Fender try out a Lakland Skyline Bob Glaub. I can assure you that if you do, you will never play another Fender. :bassist:

5. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    Fenders are fine, personally I'd go with a '62 reissue, but if you like maple board, the '57 reissue is nice. The Bob Glaub/Duck Dunn I'd buy too, but I haven't had too much time playing these, I'd need to try it again to refresh my memory, or you can go with a Mike Lull or if you REALLY have the money a Sadowsky, but if you're starting a standard Mexican or American will do you just fine.

6. I think that the Korean Lakelands are still overpriced. Go USA Fender.

7. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    If you can find one go with a Yamaha Attitude LTD II. But you might not be able to, I know down here they are special order and take 3-4 MONTHS, so i recomend trying one first on account of I don't think they are the P-bass for everyone. Oh and I'm not sure fo your price range but these are about 1300 U.S.

8. ivanthetrble

ivanthetrble

Sep 9, 2002
    Orygun
    I will add that I used to have a 80's Fender '57 reissue and a 1999 American Standard Fender P-bass, and I'll stress USED to have them. I now have a Lakland Bob Glaub. The Lakland was sooooooooo much the better bass than either of the Fenders. There was very little comparison. Better workmanship on the Lakland, better sounding pickup, better finish, better tone, no dead spots (yes, the Fenders had them), better feeling neck, better bass. I owned all of them for about 6 months so I had a lot of A/B/C time with them. No matter how happy I was with a tone I got from the Fenders, I would pick up the Lakland and wouldn't pick up a Fender again for a long time. You can get a Skyline Glaub for around $1,000 new and probably around $700 to $750 used.

9. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    I have been looking for a good P-bass too.
    Having played all the new fenders, Mex. U.S.A.
    Reissue.
    The Reissue was OK. not up to older fender standards.
    I would not buy a fender made after 1994.
    The Lakland Skykine Glaub was better than any new fender
    I played in the $900.00 to $1400.00 price range.
    As said above, it plays sounds and feels better than new fenders.
    I bought a Skyline Glaub, great bass for the money $950.00
    I also found a 1978 Maple fingerboard P-bass 100% original.
    The Glaub has TI flats
    The fender DR low riders nickel

10. IMO older Fenders seem to have a better low end, but the new American Fenders have a killer A string! You can get some seious punch on that thing.

11. bassmutt, what's up with this post, you just posted on Carol Kaye's site that you own two P basses and warmouth necks saved them for you!

You want to play games, go somewhere else. I, along with about 150 other bassist are members on many bass forums.......and I'm not gonna take your crap! You tried on Carol's forum, too bad, you won't get that chance again!

[​IMG]
    Treena

12. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    Maybe it's not the same guy????

13. Same guy, trust me!

[​IMG]

14. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland

Ok, I will. But the same thing has happened to me before when someone insisted that I was a guy who I wasn't and that was not very pleasant:(
    I hope you're sure.

15. Mazinger

Mazinger Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2002
    USA
    I bought a 2000 MIA and it's great. Got it used for around $600 w/ case.

16. Yes, good advice for anybody.

Just kidding. Or not.

17. 3 cheers for the g&l sb-1 or lb100

18. the fender 62' re-issue is real nice and the Lakland Skyline Bob Glaub is worth a good look also. you might be able to find a good deal on a used Mike Lull P bass.