Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Want to change pickups for a Schecter, any advice?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by LowEbandit, Aug 11, 2004.

1. LowEbandit

LowEbandit

Aug 11, 2004
    NWPhx
    Hey all, I have a Schecter Custom 5 that I'm thinking of changing the pickups on, does anyone have an idea or preference what would sound good in one of those? :help:

Thanks in advance,
    LEB

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Those are generally bright basses. To balance that out, you might try some barts.

3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I have a preference that pickup questions go in the pickup forum ;). I've played a couple Schecters with EMGs, sounded great.

4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Moved.

5. What kinda sound are you after?

Any particular players you like?

There are heaps of great after market pickups..but each are tailored for different things..

Let us know what your after, and maybe one of us can hopefully point you in the right direction.

6. LowEbandit

LowEbandit

Aug 11, 2004
    NWPhx
    That Mike Starr Alice in chains tone OR the STP "Plush" tone....
    The tone I have right now resembles the Les Claypool type of tone from the Schecter, A tone I really don't care for.... The AIC or STP plush tone would be ultimate for me though.......

Any help would be appreciated!!

7. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    LowEbandit, I'm not familiar with Schecters.

What type are the current pickups in there (J/PJ/soapbar/MM?) and what are their dimensions?

8. LowEbandit

LowEbandit

Aug 11, 2004
    NWPhx
    I'm sorry, they're soapbar type EMG HZ's. I hear that they are the "lesser" or low end model of EMG's. A little on the bright side, but not overbearing.
    Maybe I'll just fiddle with the settings on the amp a little more to see exactly what I can get.
    Thanks!!
    LEB

9. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    ok, so that gives you options. Take a look at the EMG 40 active soapbars, there are a number of different coil configs available for many different sounds

http://emgpickups.com/displayproducts.asp?section=Bass&categoryid=28

I've had good experiences ordering EMG's from guitarpartsdepot.com and dguitarparts.com

let me know if you have any questions, and let us know what you choose!

10. +1 on the EMG's.
    I've got them stock on the Spector I play at the moment running through an Aggie Preamp.

I'm not 100% familiar with AIC tone, but last clip i saw(would?) i could have swore he was playing a spector.

11. LowEbandit

LowEbandit

Aug 11, 2004
    NWPhx
    Yup, that's a Spector alright..... :D
    My other Yamaha comes SUPRISINGLY close to the tone I'm looking for, but the Schecter outdoes it in every catagory, except tone, so now it's no.1. The Yamaha sounds really growly, like a rock bass should, but you CAN'T pop or slap it, it just seems like it's just not made for that. The Schecter you can, I'm just kind of missing the tone. I like the tone on the Schecter, just not fully satisfied with it.
    Thanks,
    LEB

12. LowEbandit

LowEbandit

Aug 11, 2004
    NWPhx
    bump

13. I go for some EMG DC pickups. I think they would work well with the schecter basses.

14. LowEbandit

LowEbandit

Aug 11, 2004
    NWPhx
    Have you heard those EMG DCpickups before in a mahogany wood bass? What do they sound like? Just curious. Some people think that EMG's sound sterile (a guitarist friend of mine) as they do in my bass, but then I have to consider the lower end HZ's that are in there....
    Everyone raves about Bartolini's or Duncans, would those be a good pickup or are EMG's better sounding for the wood I have??
    LEB

15. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    haven't heard them in a mahogany bass.

EMG's CAN sound sterile. Personally I think EMG J's sound sterile in a 70's style jazz bass. Just my taste, I know plenty of people love them in that. On the other hand, they sound GREAT in a Warwick Thumb.

You could try the EMG CS soapbars. They're ceramic steel, a warmer sound than the DC's. Why not check out the selection at http://www.emgpickups.com

Barts and Duncans are very good pickups, but for the sound you're after I think the EMG's or Duncans would be better. Duncan make ASB soapbars which fit the EMG shape.

One benefit of the EMG shape is that you have lots of replacement choices and lots of different coil configurations available in the same soapbar shapes - you could have a J/J or P/J if you wanted. Or if you got the CS's and they're TOO warm, you can easily change them for DC's etc

16. LowEbandit

LowEbandit

Aug 11, 2004
    NWPhx
    Thanks for the reply.......I visited the site, probably the DC's sound more like what I'm looking for, "deep low end, and yet maintain clarity. DC Models are beefy, brilliant, and have more than enough output. The DC also uses the ultra low-noise preamp designed for the EMG- JV model."
    One more question, "We recommend an 18 Volt supply for extended head room."
    What does this mean? Does this mean I need an 18 volt battery?
    Or I could go for the TW models, expensive, but probably well worth it....
    Thanks!!
    LEB

17. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    No, either two 9v batteries or a 9v battery attached to a voltage doubler.

You can mod an existing bass easily for 18v, where you put that extra battery is another question. But honestly, you can get by fine with 9v.

18. LowEbandit

LowEbandit

Aug 11, 2004
    NWPhx
    Thanks davidmwilson for the reply....
    I just got off the phone with thebassplace in phoenix, and they recommended the EMG 40DC's or the Bartolini XXM45 pickups. I went to the Bartolini website but didn't see them listed. Is it hard to rewire bass pickups and all that by yourself or should I have someone do that for me?
    I think it will be the EMG DC's.......
    Thanks!!
    LEB

19. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    On the bartolini web site, there's a catalog you can download. Also another pdf file which has dimensions etc.
    guitarelectronics.com should have the xxM45 pickups, if not then Brian at bestbassgear.com could order you any bart pickups you want.

As to the rewiring, that brings us to the next item to consider. Are your current pickups active or passive? If they're active, it's easiest to replace them with other active pickups (i.e. EMG). If they're passive, it's easiest to replace them with other passive pickups (i.e. Barts).

Now, don't get me wrong, you can install passive pickups in a system which has active pickups - there'll almost certainly be some work to do to replace blend / vol pots with those of an impedance suitable for the pickups you're installing. Active pickups usually have vol / blend pots in the 25K/50K/100K range, passive pickups usually have 250K or 500K.

Sorry I'm bring short on specifics here, but I have no idea what the guts in your bass currently are.

20. LowEbandit

LowEbandit

Aug 11, 2004
    NWPhx
    Thanks again for the response...Hopefully these pics will help, but they are active pickups. I would definetly like to keep them the way they are, without any real modifications to the bass. A simple swap-out would be the best way to go...This is exactly my bass, but the schematics are for a four string.
    Thanks!!

[​IMG]

CONSTRUCTION:
    6 Bolt-On
    BODY:
    Mahogany w/ Figured Maple
    NECK:
    Multi-Laminate Maple/Walnut
    FINGERBOARD:
    Rosewood
    FRETS:
    24 Jumbo
    SCALE:
    34" (CTM-4), 35" (CTM-5)
    INLAYS:
    Offset Dots
    BRIDGE:
    S-Tek
    TUNERS:
    Grover
    PICKUPS:
    EMG Hz
    ELECTRONICS:
    2-Vol w/ EMG Active 2-Band EQ
    FINISHES:
    Natural Satin (NAT) w/ Satin Gold Hardware, Black Cherry (BCH) w/ Black Hardware
    [​IMG]