Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Want to discuss the Brice 6 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by reachjkh, Jun 13, 2003.

1. reachjkh

reachjkh

Nov 21, 2002
    Lee's Summit, MO
    I have waded through 24 pages of the Essex megathread and I give up. I'm starting my own thread.

I'm thinking about getting a Brice 6 string fretless. If you have a Brice 6, fretted or fretless, please tell me what you think about them. Did you buy a case from them too? How's the quality on those.

Is there ANY other company making an inexpensive 6 string fretted or fretless out there? I've seen a few cort curbows, but I'm not sure I like the style.

Pics of your Brice would be nice too.

thanks,
    Jeff

2. My Brice 6 (fretted) just came yesterday. My first 6 string, I've been playing a Squire 4-string for 5 years (eww).

Overall I'm pretty happy. The B is kinda muddy, but the rest of the strings sound fine. It's my first dive into active electronics, so I'm still trying to find the perfect sound (this can be chalked up to the new strings though...I hate new strings).
    Fretwork is good. Action was set a tad low. The neck is shimmed, I might fix that (what's the point of shimming anyway?). The neck is slightly bowed, so I have quite a bit of fret buzz (of course, bad technique is responsible for some of this too). I want to fix the truss rod, but I can't find the damn screwdriver :mad:

For the price it was great though (of course, Customs Canada spanked me for $106.80 in import fees).

Whee, first post, back to lurking :D

(oh yeah, I got the blue quilted one. Mmmm, very, very sexy)

3. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I just traded for a fretted Cort Curbow 6 (thanks, Flatwound! :D ) and I absolutely LOVE it! In fact, I took it in to my local luthier to have it set up (it needed minimal setup) and he was pretty amazed at how flat the neck was and at the overall construction of it.

Anyway, I know that The Fiend has a blemished one of=n sale for cheap right now, so I'd seriously consider it. You can really get a alot of tones out of that thing.

I'm quite happy with mine. The only negatives are that it's difficult to play seated and it tends to be a bit unbalanced/neck-heavy. I got over these issues pretty quickly, though.

4. reachjkh

reachjkh

Nov 21, 2002
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Congrats CmndrSmirnoff, I've been wanting to get a six for some time.

I don't care much about name brands, but I am afraid of getting a cheap feeling instrument.

Ignoring the good price, does it have a nice fit to it? Does it meet up to the praise that people have been giving their Essex/Brice 4 and 5 stings?

What would you have thought if you played it without knowing what it was?

Also, did you mean that you put new strings on? I was wondering if the floppy B is due to factory strings.

A lot of questions I know, but please give me any thoughts you have as you get settled in with your new toy.

thanks,
    Jeff

5. reachjkh

reachjkh

Nov 21, 2002
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Yea, I remember that funny little bottom cutaway when I played one once. I felt good to play though.

Do you know of any other inexpensive/playable sixes?

6. The bass came with new strings from the factory. They're really really light gauge though, and I play fairly heavy gauge on my 4 (50-105), so maybe I'm just playing a bit hard.

Also, I said that the B was "muddy", not "floppy", but since you mentioned it, it IS floppy too ;) Like I said though, the floppiness could be because of the light string gauge.

I'm not sure. I've never played a high-end bass, so I have no real basis for comparison. Maybe it's as good as a $1000 bass, but I simply would have no clue. Is it worth the money I spent on it though? Yep.

Once I get it properly set up I'll do a better review of it.

7. Planet Boulder

Nov 10, 2001
    Reach: You can probably find a Dearmond Pilot Pro Deluxe 6 on the cheap. They are neck through and active and I was pleased with the overall quality of the one I had.

8. reachjkh

reachjkh

Nov 21, 2002
    Lee's Summit, MO
    oops. "muddy".

I look forward to reading anything more you care to add.
    thanks,

9. reachjkh

reachjkh

Nov 21, 2002
    Lee's Summit, MO
    I've been looking for a pic of one. Found a couple of 4 and 5 strings. They look like an exagerated jazz body. I saw someone had bought one new for $650 (when? I didn't notice) What do you think a used 6 might go for? I like the idea of neck thru.

BTW are you over on expert forums? I've seen your avatar before and can't remember where. didn't know if that was you or not though. I check out the bass, drum, and guitar forums every day or so.

have a good weekend

10. Alrighty, I've been playing this thing a lot today (between studying for my Calc exam), and it's really, really grown on me.

The strings are a bit deader now, and they sound and feel significantly better. The B is still floppier than I'd like, but with the right EQ tweaking it's not as muddy as I thought when I first plugged in and played. Played lots of Dream Theater and it performed just fine.

It came with some black stuff on the fretboard, and I think it slowed the neck down a bit. When I first got it, the neck felt kinda slow, but now it's just as fast as my 4. The black residue going away? Sweat building up on the strings/neck/fretboard? Who knows, but it's a lot of fun to play now.

One nice feature are the strap-button-things - they're nice and big, and the bass still hasn't fallen off (and this monster is heavy, too). my Squier fell a couple times a day, but I could probably dance around and this would still be hanging off me.:bassist:

Basically, it plays a helluva lot better once it's set up and broken in.

11. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    CmdrSmirnoff, thanks for the review. I'm hoping to pick up one of those Brice 6 string basses in the fall.

12. reachjkh

reachjkh

Nov 21, 2002
    Lee's Summit, MO
    thanks Cmdr

13. Planet Boulder

Nov 10, 2001
    Nope - not me on the expert forums. My Avatar features the one and only Bob Dobbs. www.subgenius.com

Anywho, I actually sold mine to a dude on here for, what, $375.00? So you should be able to find one in that range.

One of the goods things about them is the fact that they aren't too heavy.

14. reachjkh

reachjkh

Nov 21, 2002
    Lee's Summit, MO
    :) PB that is a good price for a neck through bass.
    I'm adding that to my list of potentials.