Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

want to get an SX.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MarztekMilita, Mar 11, 2006.

1. MarztekMilita

MarztekMilita

Feb 10, 2005
    Pinole
    Het all,
    I was at rondomusic when I saw this SX jazz bass. Natural finish, block inlays, neck p-u and bridge covers with a black pick gaurd. This beauty looks really sweet and is only $160. I got about $250. I've heard alot oh good about SX, and I'm really considering it. What do ya think?
    Peace!

2. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I have the exact same model, and all I can say is that I am very pleased with mine.

3. dirtbagdf

dirtbagdf

Jun 4, 2002
    All I can think is that your lucky to living near Rondomusic!

4. MarztekMilita

MarztekMilita

Feb 10, 2005
    Pinole
    Thanks Turock, thats all I needed to hear. Im gonna talk to my parents today and hopefully get it sometime within the near future. But I think that I'll take the covers off of it.Thanks again Turock.
    Peace!

5. Jay78

Jay78

Aug 30, 2005
    I recently bought two of the SX SJB-62 jazz basses - one vintage white and the other a sunburst fretless. The necks are a little wide compared to a Fender Jazz, but they are fantastic for the money. I am smoothing out the fret ends on my white bass and will probably replace the bridge with a Gotoh 201, but it should be a great back up for gigs in rowdy bars.

Cheers,

Jay78

6. Does anyone know how bad it will look with the covers off? I'm contemplating buying this bass and modding it. I'll search the SX mega thread.

7. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    It will look like any other jazz bass without the covers.

8. Jay78

Jay78

Aug 30, 2005
    Both of my SX jazz basses look just fine without the covers. The only thing you can't do on these is take off the pick guard a la Jaco because the routing will look awful. You could just leave on the neck pickup cover for the vintage look, but I found that even that one got in the way of my playing.

9. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    Phila,Pa.
    Try out the SPJ-62 in Ash it will blow you away!

10. MarztekMilita

MarztekMilita

Feb 10, 2005
    Pinole
    Thanks Jay78 for the heads up. Yeah I've seen pics of it without the pick gaurd, pretty bad. But could you swap the pick gaurd for another? Don't know if I would though, but maybe.Thanks Guys.
    Peace!

11. Oxblood

Oxblood Banned

Apr 17, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Defiantly go and buy it!!! There isnt a 283 page Essex megathread for the heck of it! Trust me you won't be dissapointed. And yes you can swap the pickguard out if you want to. It will require a bit of modding though because it will not be a direct fit, sadly and oddly enough no company has made a template for an SX Jazz Bass.

12. MarztekMilita

MarztekMilita

Feb 10, 2005
    Pinole
    Hey Grey, Thanks for the encourgement. I tried to go to the Sx homepage, but it was in spanish. I dont speak the language. But Iwas trying to find different colors and what not. So, If anyone Happens to know the page, it would be greatly appreciated.
    P.S Nice gear Goose
    Peace!

13. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
  14. Oxblood

Oxblood Banned

Apr 17, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Thank you for the comment on my gear! Not too many people have said that but oh well, different strokes for different folks. Some people prefer thousand dollar basses, I prefer cheapie basses and making them amazing with top of the line parts. Please excuse me this morning aswell, im still a little tipsy. But you were speaking about the SX Homepage that was in spanish. Well they use to have that exact same website but in english. I really have no idea what happened to it but it was amazing!!! Full specs on every single one of the basses! And oh boy, those SX Stringray copies (that Rondo should be getting in a month or so) were unreal, and just to think they will be so cheap! But if you have any more questions that don't get answered, don't hesitate to drop me a PM. I will be more than glad to help.

15. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    I've only heard good things about SX basses. Are there any bad things some of us need to know about?

r

16. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Hey Goose, do you have a link or care to tell us about the mods you made on yr SX's and how much it set you back?

Thanks!

r

17. MarztekMilita

MarztekMilita

Feb 10, 2005
    Pinole
    Well, I've decided to get an essex, but not the natural finish.I decided to get the SX SJB-62CT Lefty. It has the sunburst finish and a red tort p-guard I think. But yeah, thats gonna be my next bass. Cant wait to order it. So, until further noitice,
    Peace!

18. bassksun

bassksun Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Las Vegas,NV
    You mean this one? Modded SX

19. MarztekMilita

MarztekMilita

Feb 10, 2005
    Pinole
    bassksun, That is the one that I was looking at, without the pups covers. But the one that I'm looking at now is in sunburt and is lefthanded.
    Peace!

20. bassksun

bassksun Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Las Vegas,NV
    Buy it. I've got less than $150 into mine as mods. Plays and sounds great. BUT its a heavy sumbeeyotch.
    Good Luck