Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Want to get GK410RBH - concerned about weight

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by displaced, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Hey there, everyone.
    Well, after finally getting my GK 1001-RBII I now want to buy a cabinet. I've tried every cab I could get my hands on and I really liked the GK RBH series.
    Problem is I couldn't try to lift the 410 RBH at the store, because it was below some other cabs.
    I'm really concerned about the weight of it (100 lbs. if I recall correctly) 'cause I'm very slim (I'm only 65 kilograms, and 100 lbs. is slightly less than 50 kgs.).
    Do you people think it wise to get such a heavy cab at all?
    Because I don't have my own cab at the moment I don't really have experience in lugging heavy equipment around.

Any comments would be appreciated!
    (especially the quick ones - I have a gig on friday and could get the 410RBH in time... if I decide to get that.)

2. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Well, one thing I've found that makes it a lot easier to move heavy cabs is a handtruck, also known as a two wheeled dolly. Just stick the grill of the 410 against the rails, and pull the handles backwards and off you go brother. Good luck with the gig, hope you love your GK's.

3. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Many players are unconcerned about the weight of their cabinets. They usually feel that the tone they get from their rigs far outweigh (no pun intended) the downsides of heavy and unwieldy equipment. In these cases, handtrucks (like Ralphdaddy mentioned) are a big help, as is an extra pair of hands (like those of your bandmates). I however, am not part of this club. While there was a time in my younger days when I felt that "Size Matters" in terms of bigger = better, 25 years of playing along with a 100+ extra pounds (on me not the cabinets :( ) have helped lead me to a path of enlightenment (again, no pun intended). These days I want my rig as compact and light as possible (hopefully without sacrificing tone). I've finally been able to do that with a Schroeder 1210 cabinet which weighs in at about 47lbs and is a scant 23"x16"x16" in size.

- Frank.

4. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Depends. I think of the 92 lbs as not much, due to the fact I've owned so many 6x10s, but the casters really help. Hmm, I'm not too sure this post was very helpful. My GK 410RBH was an awesome cabinet. Man I suck for selling it.

5. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    well, while that cab IS heavy, it does have casters/wheels, so you only have to lift it up and down stairs and stuff... my swr goliath 3 is heavy too (although in theory 20 pounds lighter than the gk 410rbh) but the wheels make it easier :bassist:

6. Thanks very much everyone!
    I guess I'll just go ahead and buy it. My bandmates are stronger than me (probably from carrying their 2x12 cabs and all) and I guess I won't have to carry the cab completely alone very often. And as soon as our new rehearsal-room(sp?) is ready I'll just leave it there.
    I can still get something like a 2x10 next year for home practice (and get rid of the sh**** 30W combo I've been using).
    But this handcart thing sounds like a good idea anyway. That would be the same principle as the wheels on 8x10s, right? So, if I can find a fairly solid handcart, can I use that to pull the cab up (or slowly roll down) some stairs?
    Again, thanks!