Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Want to get into bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KMS-Ali, Feb 10, 2002.

1. KMS-Ali

KMS-Ali

Feb 9, 2002
    As the title implies, I want to get into bass.

One problem for me is I dunno which bass guitar I should get. I'm staring at that 80 dollar Rogue SX100B on www.MusiciansFriend.com, but also the Kramer 420 bass on www.musicyo.com, I heard its a pretty awesome bass for its value.

What do you guys recommend?

2. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    um of those choices i guess i'd pick the kramer. If you can try to save a little more and throw down on a mexican pbass or jbass. I think they run around 200 used. I know this is alot more but they wont go out of tune in like 5 minutes and they are upgradeable when you get better. Just a thought.

3. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Don't buy the Rogue!!!!

I have never tried the Kramer, so I can't comment. But I will second the motion of saving up a little more and picking up a MIM (made in Mexico) Fender, jazz or Precision. Don't be afraid to buy used.

4. KMS-Ali

KMS-Ali

Feb 9, 2002
    I am terribly confused now, I'll try to look into the used Fender...

...but at a pawn shop, they were selling a terrible looking bass for 150 dollars! And I dunno if I could've tested it, because the strings were rusted to hell and back.

EDIT: And can anyone link me to info on upgrading MIM Fenders?

5. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    I dont know any links so ill tell you some stuff...

Fender MIM's come with mostly stock parts.If you buy a jazz,then you would probably want to upgrade to Seymour Duncan Basslines' pick-ups.For a p-bass,Seymour Duncan 1/4'ers are popular.

"Badass" bridges are good bridges(or so ive heard).I've also heard hipshot bridges are good.
    Hipshot makes good tuners ive heard.

You would probably want to get new strings too,just go into the strings forum and you should find information.

I highly reccomend saving up more,it'll be worth the wait.if you get a kramer or rogue,youll just end up getting discouraged because it will sound so horrible.:p

Seriously though,get a used Fender.Or if you want to get something new,that isnt too bad,get a squier deluxe p-bass.

6. Fenders are VERY easy to mod. You can basicly buy all the parts for the bass and put it together yourself if you'd like. If you want to swap the Pickgaurd, you can easily, same w/ tuners, bridge, neck, knobs, strap buttons. All of this can be changed with no permanate changes, and can be easily switched back with no noticeable difference.

7. Hello from another beginner.

Here are some tips from my recent experience in buying equipment and from lots of stuff I have read in this forum.

For one thing you don’t want to spend 100$ on a crappy new bass when you can look around and get a good used bass for 200$.

Here is a picture of what I use. It’s slightly above the bare minimum you would want to get.

[​IMG]

The bass is a MIM (Made in Mexico)(also available are MIJ, Made In Japan Fenders of about the same quality) Fender Jazz Bass and The Amp is also a Fender 160 watt with a 15” speaker. I was using a 50-watt guitar amp before I recently acquired this one used and there is no comparison, you need a “bass” amp with at least 100 watts to be able to be heard over any other guitar or drums. This may not be a concern at the moment if you are just practicing alone but if your going to be playing with others don’t waste your money on a small amp.
    The Fender Jazz and P-Bass (the black one behind my jazz) are the standard configurations that will serve you in just about any music you want with the Jazz giving you a few more choices of sounds then the P. You could probably get either for 200 used in decent shape if you look around. These are by no means professional quality basses or anywhere near but they are similar to the sounds that electric basses have made for many years and if your trying to duplicate a P-Bass sound you might as well get a P-Bass.

From what I have read in this forum different MIM basses can have a wide range of quality control so make sure try the bass before U buy it, better yet if you can bring somebody with you who knows the difference.

I got both the Amp and the Bass from a Pawnshop; I was lucky I have a shop owned by a bass player so I got a pretty good deal. I think I have about 500$ or so in gear including cases, wires, straps and such and I feel you need between 300-500$ to get started.

Well good luck to you and keep reading TB; Information is your best investment.

Oh and get a teacher.

8. KMS-Ali

KMS-Ali

Feb 9, 2002
    Thanks for the wonderful feedback, especially Mike's.

This means I gotta get more cash, but that also means I better find another job(I got one, just that its only seasonal, like around christmas). Ugh.

My uncle is a professional bassist, I think I can nudge him to get me some stuff, mostly a good amp. Or one of his fenders, heh.

EDIT: Did anyone tried out that 100 dollar Kramer bass? On musicgearreview.com(or something) 3 reviews thought it kicked, and 1 that thought it was a piece of trash. Not that I'm going to get it(well, not just yet. Might get one to torture, heehee), but just wondering.

9. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike, we have the same gear, except my jazz is fretless, and i have MIA p-bass.

The M-80 is one heavy (expletive deleted) of a combo. I'm thinking of getting a combo that can cover lows, mids, and highs well, with at lease 5 band EQ and that is under 35 lbs that sounds fine for DB.

10. I have to agree with this piece of advice, Do not buy the Rogue. I havent played the Kramer either, so no comment. Look into Fender Squier, too. Not as high quality as a MIM, MIJ or MIA Fender, but my Squier, now 5+ years old, is as good as any MIM. I has good construction, and the stock parts are just fine. If you can afford it, especially if you finance thru MF, get something good. Why bother financing an $80 piece of poop? Finance a $300 bass that sounds good and will outlast any Rogue.

I am financing my Yamaha thru MF, got it for $300, and it is sweet. Look into the Yamaha BBG4 series. These are very good, very underrated basses. But they are just as nice as any Ibanez, or Fender around the same price, IMO.

Play whatever you can before you decide to purchase, even if you buy from Musicians Friend. Go to every local music store and pawn shop and just play the crap outta every bass in the store. That will give you an idea of what you like, i.e. Precision, Jazz, P-J, etc. Then go to MF or where ever and find what you like.

Peace, and welcome to TalkBass.

11. Yeah tell me about it, I leave it in the studio cause I just don't want to lug it back and forth twice a week. I couldn't pass it up since I had been looking for something better then the practice amp i have. I was looking for an SWR Workingmans 15 but got the Fender for under 250$, 125$ of that was to have the amp repaired, probably from a fall.
    Next thing I am looking to get is a J-Retro and then maybe a set of Bartolini pickups, of course then I'll need a better Amp:D