Want to get into music genres that has good bass line but don't know where to start.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by cuponoodles55, Oct 12, 2011.

1. cuponoodles55

cuponoodles55

Oct 11, 2011
    Hello members of talkbass. I want to listen to alot of, funk, jazz, funk rock, blues, etc. Any type of music really, that just has good bass lines that I would want to learn. Solo artists are nice to listen to, but mostly just looking for suggestions of genres/bands/songs that make me think, "Damn, that's a cool line." The thing is there's so much music out there, I don't know where or how to find all this music.

2. Every genre has good bass lines. Every genre. Even old world oompah music. I'll bet that there's wicked bass lines in Japanese music, although I'm totally unfamiliar with the genre.

A better question is what type of music do you want to play?

3. Elrend

Elrend

Feb 24, 2008
    Norway
    Step 1: Listen to a tune
    Step 2: Ask yourself; "Do I enjoy this bassline?"
    Step 3a: If yes, congratulations, you've found a song with a good bassline.
    Step 3b: If no, try listening to a different tune.

4. sigmafloyd

sigmafloyd

May 1, 2011
  5. kander

kander

Feb 3, 2007
    Philadelphia
    For me, nothing grooves more than reggae bass lines.

6. cuponoodles55

cuponoodles55

Oct 11, 2011
    @Uberheist: The thing is I want to get into EVERYTHING.
    @Elrend: I don't listen to new music much, so I need suggestions?
    @sigmafloyd: Thanks i'm getting it now!
    @kander: suggestions?

7. That takes more then a lifetime just to 'get into' listening to everything. It'll take a lifetime to really master one genre.

Listen to everything, even junk on the radio. Find the genres that speak most to you, then try to 'get into' them.

8. BassBob1

BassBob1

Dec 21, 2010
    If you don't already, listen to the allman brothers band Eat a Peach and Live at the Fillmore east. Basically any of there stuff with Berry Oakley on it (Pre 1973). He plays some really great melodic lines that flow along with the guitars and everything else. Also there last studio album, Hitting the Note with Oteil Burbridge (my personal favorite bassist) who is also on the Tedeschi Trucks Band's Revelator. Todd smallie of the derek trucks band. He is really groovy on Songlines and very jazzy and fusiony on Out of the Madness and their self-titled album.

I'm really just listing some of my favorite bands with in my favorite genre. Should be a start but if you can't get into it, no worries, just not for you. Just give everything a try and if you hear something you like anywhere explore the genre some more.

9. Chef FourString

Chef FourString

Feb 4, 2011
    Texas
    For good rifs and lines, I would suggest listening to Cake and Moros Eros. Everything they all play is pretty good.

10. Mr Lizard

Mr Lizard

Jul 15, 2011
    Theres a whole lot of music out there, but heres a couple of suggestions from me that have some of my favourite basslines on....

Jamiroquai - Return of the Space Cowboy

and

Jamiroquai - Travelling without Moving

11. +1

You could do a lot worse than starting with the deluxe 2-CD reissue of The Harder They Come soundtrack.

12. Billy Joel's "The Stranger"

13. Try these:

I Want You Back - Michael Jackson
    Cissy Strut - The Meters
    I'll Take You There - Staple Singers
    In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed - Allman Bros
    I Wish - Stevie Wonder
    Roundabout - Yes
    Get Up Stand Up - Bob Marley (any Marley really, Family Man grooves are unlike anything)

14. niels125

niels125

Aug 11, 2011
    Punkrock:
    Rancid- Maxwell murder
    Rancid -Journey to the end of east bay...
    Hardrock:
    Tool-schism
    Tool-Sober
    Rock:
    Pink Floyd - One of these days
    Pink Floyd -Money

almost every music style has fun basslines....

Ska and Reggae have fun basslines, but rock, pop etc. also have hundreds of cool bass songs.

This might be a starter for you:

Stylus Magazine’s Top 50 Basslines Of All Time - Article - Stylus Magazine

15. bassistjoe93

bassistjoe93 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2011
    The Yellowjackets. Especially the album "Blue Hats." Great album.
    Also their song "Jacket Town" is just nasty how good his bass playing is. Not sure the album that one is from. Jimmy Haslip is a monster!

16. stambroker

stambroker

Aug 12, 2011
    NoVA
  17. do what i did ... make pandora account and quick mix all of the generic stations.

I have a blues, funk, rock, classical, jazz, hiphop etc ... all quickmix... i write down songs that hit me as interesting all the time. They usually go into the personal library at that point.

18. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    My favorite basslines are African. Check out Sipho Mabuse, or his old band Harari. Mahlathini is pretty cool stuff too. I love the guitar work!

19. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

Jul 7, 2009
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    Listen to Faith No More.

20. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Love Jamiroquai - no matter who's playing bass.

Killer player in this genre - and others really.Makes me want a 6 string again.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021