1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Want to get my motorcycle license...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by SuperSnake2012, Aug 19, 2007.

1. SuperSnake2012

SuperSnake2012 floppy b strings

Dec 12, 2006
    Bronx, NY
    Well, I'm 17 years old and I want to get my motorcycle license. In the state of New York you have to take a road test on the motorcycle... how exactly does it differ from the car road test? Does some guy from the DMV hop on the backseat or something? :D

2. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    I don't know about NY, but in Texas a state trooper tells you the route you'll take, then follows you in a cruiser.

3. Fontaine

Fontaine

Apr 27, 2006
    yea they follow you in a car and have a speaker on their car screaming demands at you!

really tho, ive seen it.

4. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    Yeah, they follow you. I recommend you look into a DMV Motorcycle Safety Course.

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/mcmanual/safety_program.htm

I took one when I was 17. It's like $300, you get 2 full days of riding and training, and at the end of the course, there's a test on an enclosed course, the same course you've been training on for 2 days, and if you pass, because its a DMV sponsored course, it counts as a road test, and you get your license. Best of all, they supply the motorcycles, so you don't have to worry about messing up your own bike while learning to ride. Well worth the money, IMO.

5. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    I can't + this enough.

6. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

Like others have suggested, it's worth your while (and maybe your life) to do a motorcycle safety course.