Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

want to go J + MM in a frankenjazz, suggestions?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by K-Frog, Jun 20, 2004.

1. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    i've got an old jazz that has a large and unusual rear route. to make things look right, I need to enlarge the route. I originally thought about any old MM shaped humbucker. then I thought about taking a couple of jazz pickups and whacking the ears off two sides, gluing them together like a Rosco Beck pickup. My only concern either way is with running a single coil in the neck position. I suppose a stacked humbucker in a jazz shape would be best to keep noise to a minimum.

My only concern about the doubled Jazz pickkup idea is that once I route for ears in front and behind the pickup, I would probably never have a different option for a drop-in that would look right. OTOH, If I start with a standard MM shape, I would have different options down the road.

Any ideas or suggestions in my J+MM adventure?

2. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Why not just go with Bart's like the Laklands have?

3. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    yea, why do all the extra work?

4. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    I have a hard enough time upgrading a "real" bass, I'm not looking to drop a lot of cash in a Frankenjazz.

5. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    You'll have to clarify your question for me. I already have to route the thing out. What are you referring to?

6. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I have a Duncan single coil J in the neck position and a Duncan MM in the bridge on my franken-jazz. You can use a stacked humbucker in the neck, but you don't need to. Make sure that the pickup cavities are properly shielded and noise won't be an issue.

<a href="http://www.bassviews.org/showlisting.cgi?lid=147">Click here if you want to see pics of my bass.</a>