Want to go to college for music maybe?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Selta, Oct 17, 2002.

1. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Ok, I want to go to college for music, but I have many questions such as, what ones are good (in general, 'cos I have no idea what to focus on), and the second major question on my mind is what career (sp?) options do I have by taking it as a major? Also, what fields can I foucs on in music, I saw ones such as theory and composistion, but what else is there, I just need something to study on, but also be able to actually make a descent living off of as well. Any help here would be appreciated! Thanks!
    P.S. I've tride that collegelink.com site, and it hasn't helped me at all, but if you know of any other sites I'd like that as well.
  2. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Hmmm...I'm not going to even begin to try to tackle the "What schools are good..."

But, there are a number of fields within and related to music that you could consider. In fact, there's nothing that says a creative mind, like your own, couldn't create a new field...some people get rich doing just that.

Anyway, performance is a major. So is music business. So is sound engineering. Music History? There is even a field of music related to health! If you wanted business and music, for example, remember every musician, label, and studio need accountants and marketing personnel.

The bottom line is, you're only limited by what your interests are. Good luck!;)
  3. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

4. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

5. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Hey thanks for the links. I just wanna know what's cool, that would involve me using my band, or getting into a band situation. I don't wanna be rich foresay (but it would be nice), but I don't wanna have to scrape money together just to buy new gear either. Any suggestions on band-related careers would be helpful, as well as more college links. Thanks you guys!
  6. I will personally suggest the University fo Miami school of music as it is where I intend to go to school next year for music engineering. Its major drawback is the cost, but its a very beautiful campus and an amazing program. If had my druthers though, I would much rather go to Berklee.
  7. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    i think Juliard (sp?) is in NYC, i think it is for music, drama, and art

8. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    At Columbia College in Chicago you can study Sound Recording, Live Sound Reinforcment, Sound Systems Contracting, and Acoustics (my major- there's lots of physics, just to warn you).