Want to help me find my head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LarryO, Oct 10, 2005.

1. LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    LOL sorry for the stupid title. I am taking my time finding a new amp. I am not in a hurry to buy. I have a rig that does what I need it to do and I got it for a very great price but I'd like to have a 2nd head for a tonal option and/or a primary and back up. As far as tone I think what I am after you can hear in Suedehead by The Smiths, Skull of a German by The Jesus Lizard, and Dig For Fire by the Pixies. Km Deal's tone on Monkeys Gone to Heaven is too "rubbery" for my taste but may in fact be the same rig, just a different shaped eq. Other examples are Pulling muscles from a shell by Squeeze, Mexico by James Taylor and I think the tone on Forever Man by Eric Clapton is similar also. These may all be very different rigs achieving a similar tone which is great because it means more options.
    I will be feeding this amp into a Peavey 115BVX BW and 210TVX both 4 ohm so I'll need this amp to go down to 2ohms. I would prefer used and of course would like to do this for as little money as possible but being that I am not in a hurry I can save up for it. Let's say $500 give or take $150. Any advise would be appreciated, and I apoligize in advance for the lenghty post.
  2. LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    a second thought would be adding a preamp to my current rig but the goal is the same, so any recommendations on preamps that can help achieve this tone would also help. Thanks
  3. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I hate pushing this head on so many people...

But the Groovebass seems like a perfect option. TONS of power at 2ohms. Hit the stores and try a few different brands though.
  4. LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    thanks. I'll play with the Kustom and give it a listen.....anyone else?