Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Want to improve my yamaha sound

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by zawali, Nov 12, 2003.

1. zawali

zawali

Sep 28, 2003
    France (PARIS)
    hi,
    I own a BBN5 yamaha bass.
    In comparison with my JB 4 the sound is less clear. i Want to change the 2 pickups (EMG 45 shape) and to add a preamp on it.
    Any suggestion for a funky and modern sound ?

2. You've already named them, EMG's (in your case I believe it's the 40 model, rather than 45), preamp is built in. From the EMG catalog:

3. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    If you have the soapbar yamaha pickups, then the DC45's are very close to the yamaha size. To be exact, if you put 45s in there they will be exactly 1/8th of an inch too small on each size. How do I know? Because I did ths exact mod to mine. I am running without a preamp, because the EMG's give me an incredible sound without any extra electronics. I have an EXB on it, but I never use it...

For more informationClick on this link, and read the thread

[​IMG]

4. zawali

zawali

Sep 28, 2003
    France (PARIS)
    Thanks
    I noticed that the EMG's Humbuckers have 2 parallel blades. Do you know if it is possible to split thehumbucker in single coil?
    I know it is possible with the Bartolini's humbuckers

5. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I don't think that's possible. If it is, I've never seen anybody do it, and it was never mentioned in any of the literature I read.
    If I understand EMG's right, they need a battery because of the lack of windings on the coil. The lack of windings already give them a single coil sound, as opposed to the typical humbucker sound.

6. zawali

zawali

Sep 28, 2003
    France (PARIS)
    Thank you for your answers
    I will spend few days in NY and in New orleans for my winter holidays(next week). I will probably buy the EMG pickups and perhaps a BTC preamp then.

7. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    You may be able to find electronics that work better than changing the pickups or adding an on board preamp.

I was going to change the pickups on a Fender jazz bass as it wasn't "hot" enough compared to my active basses. I tried it through a pedal (Aphex Bass Xciter) and found the tone I was looking for. Actually all of my passive basses sound better through the pedal than the active basses.

If you get a chance, try out an Aphex Bass Xciter pedal.