Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Want to kill the instructor now

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by madskillz, Feb 12, 2003.

1. madskillz

madskillz

Sep 20, 2002
    I joined an ensemble at a local music school. The music we play is basically soul tunes. I have been playing bass for about 2 years, so I am still very much a plebe. The instructor tells us that the school is having a concert of all the groups and we are going to do Aretha Franklin's version of Respect. I damn near died. If you have heard that bass part it is so kewl, but it is not something a newbie should do on a stage in front of other musicians. But I love the song and decided it was one of those times for a gut check. I worked on this song for 3 weeks straight. Understand, I have a job where I sometimes do 13 hours, so this was a huge investment in time. I finally got it, played the record for some friends, and they agreed I had it down. I was so proud. Four days before we were supposed to do the concert, the instructor decided that he wanted us to do Midnight Hour instead!!!! I could not believe it. We had not practiced it. He said we would not have problem. Well needless to say , we did not sound that great.

But here is the part that makes me want to smoke him. Another group got on after us and did Respect. Guess who the bass player was? THE INSTRUCTOR FROM MY GROUP!!!! Classless Jerk. The only thing that came out this on the positive side is now I know I can learn songs and I can play one of my all-time favorites note-for-note. Just venting. Thanx

2. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Hey Madskilz,

Good for you for learning that part. That rocks! Have you seen the movie "Standing in the Shadows of Motown". I bet you'd love it!

BTW, try to take this one in stride. If you stay a musician, you'll have to deal with situations MUCH worse than this one.

Who knows why your instructor played on it, he might have had a pretty good reason. Why don't you get together with him, and show him all the work you did on it (without mentioning the bitterness you feel). He'll see how into it you are, and he might want to give you more stuff to play with the band in the future.
    Best regards,
    Laurence

3. i agree...KILL HIM....KILL HIM NOW

4. Ditto.

5. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Your bandleader stole "Respect" from you. How ironic.

6. Amethska

Amethska

Jan 27, 2003
    NJ, USA
    Woah. Yeah, I'd get out of that group as soon as possible...

7. Agreed

8. redjeep!

redjeep! Guest

Jan 19, 2002
    Dublin
    Your instructor may have got to play "Respect" that night, but you got to walk away with it.

You should face him with your issues - otherwise you'll never be able to deal with him on a proper level again.

9. Look like big Mr. Instructor needs to learn some "respect" , or rip him a new one :eek:

Rock on !:bassist:

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Hmmm. You didn't happen to complain to the instructor that you wouldn't be able to learn the song or that it was too hard, before you decided to learn it, did you? Maybe you made his decision for him.

On the other hand, if you genuinely did not torpedo yourself, I think it would be very appropriate to express your disappointment to him, after spending all that time learning the part.

11. I have your solution: Sue his ass.

Claim that:

You spent countless hours trudging over this song...not to mention it affecting your FREE TIME and SLEEP DEPREVATION. Then accuse the sleep deprevation of causing you to not think clearly, causing you to screw up in school and at work. You flunk some courses, get fired from your job, all because of this guy.

Voila.

I should be a lawyer.

12. bassochist

bassochist

Dec 28, 2002
    Earth
    very good court case.

like suing mcdonalds for making people fat...

heh heh...

but yeah that really sucks. i had a similar situation but it was playing sax in band last year for school.

tried really hard to learn some stuff and they changed it all a week before the show. pissed me off. i know how you feel. of course yours is probably worse cuz respect is harder than whatever crap it was i was playing on sax.

13. i wonder whatever became of this? it was over a month ago he posted it....

14. madskillz

madskillz

Sep 20, 2002
    Here is the info on what has happened since we lost "Respect". I talked to the instructor and told him that after all the work the band and I put into the song, that if he thought we were not ready to play, he should have said so,and not just change the tune 4 days before the performance. I also told him that I thought it was inconsiderate that he did the song with another band.

He said that it was a last minute thing, and he did not think it was a big deal. I told him it was. He was not very apologetic. The rest of the band said they thought it was ugly also.

The singers in our band, that was on the stage with the instructor when he did the song, said they felt more comfortable with the version they did with the instructor, because his bass line was not as "busy". *** is that? The bass line I used was the same one in the recording. That statement pretty upset the musicians, because they thought we had a good groove on the song. Needless to say we are now in our version of "Survivor".

The band is in pretty much in one camp and the singers and the instructor are in the other.

This ordeal ends this Saturday when we do a 35-minute set. The singers have been complaining about having to do the song "I'll take you there". The band loves it and of course I get to do the bass solo at the end. So we told them if we don't to that song,we don't do any song. They said they would not sing, so we decided since there aren't a lot of words, we would have the audience join in. Stay tuned.

15. You gotta remember that the recorded version doesn't take into consideration what your other band mates/singers are doing. A fill that fits the recorded version may not work live with what your other band mates/singers are doing.

I have also found that when playing live, a simple bassline works better than a complex one if the bass is not the focus of the song.

16. madskillz

madskillz

Sep 20, 2002
    True, but that is something that should have been said during the six weeks we were rehearsing the song. If they had a problem with it, it should have been changed early. Don't tell me it is too busy after the song has been worked on by everyone else and they are under the assumption everyone is kewl with it.

And I would agree also if the instructor had not done the same line note-for-note in the performance he did.