Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Want to learn bass, which do I buy???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FFIXvivi, Jun 24, 2002.

1. FFIXvivi

FFIXvivi

Jun 24, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    I just turned 19 and my childhood days are over. Time for a real hobby besides videogames and hanging out with friends at the usual teenage hideouts. I've always wanted to play bass, but never got around to it.

So what's a good beginner bass to buy? Some have told me an Ibanez GSR200. Any other suggestions?

2. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    My choice would be... MIM Fender J or P. Either one is a very good, inexpensive bass that would be very easy to upgrade later on, if you choose to.

3. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Whatever feels good.
    Yes, I mean feels good, when played hangin in a strap, for a loong time. SO you just get out there and try them all!

Once you find an instrument that fits your body, you can have fun.

OK, sound and price does have some influence:rolleyes: , but all in that priority order:
    1 ergonomics
    2 sound
    3 budget

4. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    My priorities:
    1.Budget
    2.sound
    3.ergonomics

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

But with budget your first priority, that would mean getting the cheapest bass there is - also, almost certainly the worst-sounding and feeling!

I would agree that sound and feel should be first priority and then having decided which basses are best on these criteria, you pick the one that you can afford. So budget is third.

Also, I think you have to accept that a $300 bass might sound and feel better to someone than a $500 bass - money can't be your first priority!

6. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    Bubget bieng first doesn't mean the cheapest. I guess what I meant to say was best sounding bass for the budget I have. If a grand is my budget then I find the best sounding bass for a grand. If my budget is 450 then it's the best sounding bass for 450. It doesn't do me any good to find a great sounding or feeling bass first then find out I can't afford it.

7. FFIXvivi

FFIXvivi

Jun 24, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Thanks for the input. The only problem is that this will be my first bass. I've never taken lessons, just fiddled around with friends basses a little so I don't really know what too look for as far as sound, upgradeability, feel, etc.

8. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    I think the MIM Fenders, either p or j (not to be confused with PB&J) is an excelent suggestion. If you do a search for those I think you'll find alot of positive threads about them. As far as sound goes. Think of the sound of the bass in your favorite songs and try and find something that comes close to the tone you have in your head. Good luck, try as many basses as you can. Have fun and get the one you like best regardless of the brand.

9. Grunge

Grunge

Jun 3, 2002
    Brazil
    well,a Washburn XB-100 would be a good choice

10. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Well sure you know what to look for. What feels nice, sounds nice and even looks nice is what you should get, not something you'll dislike, even if someone pro tells you to get that bass.

Yamaha makes couple nice inexpensive basses. More classic looking BB-604 costs around $350 at 'Musicians Fiend' I believe, so it's little brother BB-404 should be under $300 and I think it's better than Ibanez GSRs. Also older BB-N4s are around. For rock looks, Yamaha has RBX series, check the both series out.

11. lakerkobe

lakerkobe

Jun 17, 2002
    Portland, OR
    I would suggest keeping an eye on eBay for a good deal. I am a new bass player as well and I picked up a DeArmond Pilot Deluxe in new condition for 240 shipped.... the guy at the guitar shop almost had me in a SGR200 as well, for the same price.

12. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Ahh, thou art so young, my friend.
    When age caches up with you (which BTW can happen at young years;) ), your back and shoulders will find it hard to forgive you - and you suffer!!!! ha-haaah!

Seriously: take care of your body, so it will help you play for a loooong time. And take care of your ears, so you can hear what you are playing, all your life.
    That's why I put ergo's so high. For a more elaborate explanation, you can search on my sig and ergonomics, and there will be a few....:D

13. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    I'm only 2 years younger than you:D

14. td1368

td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Philadelphia
    I think the Yamaha's, the BB series, the MIM and MIJ Fender's are both good starter basses.

The Yamaha's, I believe, tend to have active electronics, the Fenders are easily upgradible. You can get decent deals on both used. I think they have similar tone characteristics.

The MTD Kingston's are good too. They have a more modern sound though. I haven't seen them in stores too much so you take a chance with mail order.

Playing before you by is key. Is the bass comfortable sitting and standing? Are your hands big enough for the neck? Do you like the tone?

15. BillSC

BillSC Guest

May 30, 2002
    Columbia, SC
    I would like to throw in some support for Dean basses. They are relatively low cost, comfortable and great sound....a very well made bass for the money.

16. Rush1988

Rush1988 Guest

May 12, 2002
    USA, GA, Atlanta
    My first bass was a yamaha rbx270, i hated it, i'd recommend a MIM Presicion bass.

17. FFIXvivi, welcome to Talkbass. (None of you welcomed him/her?, Grrr!) :D

Much good advice so far; I would agree with the MIM Fenders, or the Yamahas. If you're spending between $300 - $500, I'd say these are among the best choices. Here's the link to Musician's Friend that Tsal suggested www.musiciansfriend.com Take an hour of so to look around the place, then come back to this thread and ask for some opinions on what caught your eye.

Good luck.

Mike J.

18. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
  19. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Sorry, I think I have that one ;) probably closing the deal tomorrow-ish.

20. td1368

td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Philadelphia
    The new for 2002 MIM Jazzes have different specs than the older ones. I think the newer ones sound much better. Some of the features are an alder body and the better pickups w/ routing that matches the MIA sizes. I just played a new one recently and thought I was a big improvement.