Want to learn jazz

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by fadlan bassman, Oct 3, 2002.

1. fadlan bassman

fadlan bassman

Oct 23, 2001
    Well my band was more or less dissolved today, I have been considering buying a DB and trying to figure it out with some instruction of course. But ultimately I would like to learn (or just switch to) Jazz on the electric bass. I have been deeply affected by Mingus and I love the chordal approach to "All the Things You Are". I have been to a few Jazz Jams here in Austin (Elephant Room) I was totally blown away. I would like to get good enough to get up there and jam with those guys (they switch out players after a couple songs). My quandary is this: Do I need lessons on jazz or just start learning the songs. I know a little of Haitian Fight song by Mingus and I am working on ATTYA. I have been playing for about 1.5 yr. and have played with several bands in the alternative metal category.
  2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    You'll learn a lot more quickly and efficiently if you study with someone who knows what they're doing and has been to the places you want to be. Find someone with skills you admire.
  3. fadlan bassman

fadlan bassman

Oct 23, 2001
    Thats a good idea, I guess I need to talk to some of the bass players at the elephant room. I have been looking on the internet for teachers but there are few local listings.
  4. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Hey! When do they have the jazz jams at the elephant room? How do they do them? Does someone start a groove or do they play standard heads that you're expected to know or do they use fakebooks? I just moved to Temple which isn't too far away and I'd like to check it out some time.

There HAS to be some good jazz bass teachers in Austin. Findin' em is the hard part. I'd approach someone whose playing you really like at the jam and see if they'd give you lessons or if they can recommend someone who can.

brad cook
  5. fadlan bassman

fadlan bassman

Oct 23, 2001
    Every monday night is A Jazz Jam at the Elephant Room. They play standards and I have seen a fake book that the musicians will look through sometimes between songs (that thing is huge).