Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Want to love your bass again?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SGT. Pepper, Feb 13, 2006.

1. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    Phila,Pa.
    Many bass players as well as guitar players suffer from small amp syndrome. What is small amp syndrome you ask? It's when you haven't gigged in a while and you just have been using your practice amp to keep your chops up, when suddenly one day you decide that a certain bass in particular sounds like crap. In the past you were crazy about it but now you don't think it's that good. Wait! Don't go trade it in yet. Fire up your BIG RIG, plug that bass in and let her rip! Many times from constantly using a practice amp we think certain basses suck. But it is not because of the bass' limitations it is the limitations of the amp. Plugging that certain bass into a substantial amp will make you see things differently. Lets face it, not all basses sound like a Stingray, American Jazz Deluxe, or a Smith. Even these basses however won't sound to their potential through a practice amp. It's those $300 to $400 basses that need a big rig to shine with all their glory. So next time before you think it's junk, plug it in the BIG RIG! :eek: :hyper: :bassist: :D

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I dont use a practice amp :) Just a volume knob.

Ive never liked the sound of any practice amps really. Well, cheap ones.

3. rashbeep

rashbeep

Jul 15, 2005
    Toronto, ON
    sad because all i have is all lil practice amp...:(

4. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

I gig too much. Does this mean I have big amp syndrome?

LOL

Rob

5. all i have is a practice amp and a head. i am long waiting a cab

6. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    Phila,Pa.
    Your practice amp is no less than 100 watts. :D

7. This is crazy.

I'm playing through a half-blown 15 watt Fender Rumble 15, and my Mesa Bass 400 hasn't been played in over two months:rolleyes:

I'm always in the living room, either playing, or on the compy(where I am now), and it sits dormant in my bedroom...***?

I'm moving it! Thanks SGT. Pepper!
    Don't worry, when you finally do get a nice amp, you'll sound so much better:)

8. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    Phila,Pa.
    Faith, what bass were you playing out of the 15 watter and were you considering getting rid of it?

9. adept_inept

adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    haha. same here. although, i bet your volume knob controls more than 400 watts.

10. ScoobyGoo

ScoobyGoo

Feb 10, 2006
    Size doesn't matter!

:runs away ashamed:

11. yea my swr/mesa stack is about all i use to practice with these days and its makes my rick and my ray sing.

12. My Rick.. haha, it came as a package deal on Ebay with it!

I'm not considering getting rid of it though..well, not yet at least - it's small and handy..but like i said, it is crapping out after using it for over twenty minutes..

Once I figure out what the deal is with my Hartke Kickback 15(it's farting out after prolonged usage too), I'll probably want to get something bigger for our makeshift studio...

13. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    hey guys i always plug into my big rig at home so i don't have small amp syndrome but i have had another problem.

Many times we get fed up with our bass cause it's not new or cool or boutique, or really expensive, etc. I have found that a cure to this other syndrome is

GROOVE

Man nothing beats just sitting down for couple of hours grooving down to your favorite tunes and getting all funkyified. Man i'm literally in love with my el crappo MIM fender jazz fretless. That thing funks like a mother.

Well sorry to hijack this thread, hopefully we can stop gassing and start loving the gear we got!!

14. YAY this marks a turning point for us poor people!

15. RSchuster

RSchuster

Jan 27, 2006
    Alexandria, VA
    The difference between a 15-watt practice amp and a 60-watt Fender Bassman combo made even my Squier P-bass sound brilliant. And then, of course, came the 100-watt Genz Benz combo . . . *angels come down singing hallelujah* . . . just wait until I manage to save up enough for that Ashdown . . . oh boy!

16. who needs a practise amp? all you need is the everything amp:D

mines a peavey mk3 and peavey 410tx...does everything

although i have various programs on my pc, so i hook my bass up to my pc and use my 5.1 system when i cant be bothered pluggin in my amp, or i just wanna mess around with effects software that i found

17. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    You may want to try a good quality headphone amp. IMO, sounds *way* better than a samll amp played at low volume.

I use a Cafe Walter-- a pic my current of practice rig is below.:bassist:

The laptop is on top of mic stand velcroed (is that a word?) to a wedge shaped mount (used for mostly for mic-pre's and IEM boxes I think) and the Walter rides just below it on a small accessory shelf.

The laptop headphone out drives the line in on the Walter, and Walter's aux out goes to the laptop mic in for recording (rarely) and tuner (I run unstrument tuner software on the laptop).

Cool, compact, sounds great!

Attached Files:

18. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    How does the aux out on the Walter sound?

19. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Yes :D

I gig too much myself ..... now I'm developing "I-need-a-permanant-roadie-to-lug-my-cr*p" syndrome ..... :eyebrow:

20. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    Jason,

Ya'know, it'd really not that bad. I wouldn't use it as a pre or anything but it will drive a power amp pretty well believe it or not. I do have a limited frame of reference because I haven't plugged it into the bigger equipment-- but with a Tech 21 Bass Power Wedge (it has no pre, only a power amp and a single 10") it does a nice job. Very clean, no coloration, just the sound of the bass.

Peace,

Matt