1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Want to match the tone of my Eden 4x10 w/ 2 lightweight cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by circuitspore, Sep 27, 2017.

1. circuitspore

circuitspore

Aug 27, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    TL;DR version: I play an Ampeg SVT3 + Eden 4x10 rig that I love. Eden has become too heavy. What should I replace it with to keep my tone and volume?

More info:

I've been having back issues for the last month, and they're due to my Eden 4x10. (I have issues with my back in general, but this most recent trigger was from
    my cab.) Most of the time I have a buddy to help me load it, but sometimes you're solo and ya gotta make it happen. Well, I made it happen recently and I'm paying the price.

I'm not an amp/cab aficionado. I've used the same SVT-3 and Eden 4x10 for the last decade+. I love the sound; it sounds like _me_ and I'm super familiar with the controls/tweaks/how to push it right. If it wasn't for my back, I'd intend to play this rig for the rest of my life.

I know everyone has been raving about various lightweight cabs for years now, but I'm totally ignorant on brands, price point, etc. I got a steal on my Eden cab for $175 on craigslist way back when, but I'm prepared to drop the $$ necessary to save my back.

I suck at describing my "tone" or what I'm after. The best I can tell you is that I love the sound of my SVT-3 through my Eden 4x10. I play rock, and like to push my rig with a DOD250 quite regularly. Sometimes a delay or the EHX HOG makes an appearance.

All advice is appreciated!

2. Cut the Eden in half and make two 2-10s out of it.

3. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    Which model of the Eden 410? XLT, XST, T?

4. circuitspore

circuitspore

Aug 27, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    I'll have to check tomorrow at practice. I believe it to be a 90's model. It pre-dates speak-on inputs. Not sure if that helps narrow it down.

5. bobcruz

bobcruz

Mar 10, 2004
    CA
    Probably either the 410T or 410XLT, two completely different sounding cabinets. If it's the XLT, I've read here on TB that one manufacturer comes close to the sound, and it might be Glasstone, but search the forum a bit or wait for someone who knows for sure to post. The XLT sound is distinctive so harder to match than the T, which is a lot smoother and probably easier to match with a modern lightweight cabinet.

6. What do the ports look like?
    Rear round port is a D410t.
    Slot ports on top and bottom is a D410XLT.
    Slot port on the bottom is a D410XST.
    They each have a sightly different sound so knowing what you have and want is helpful.

7. circuitspore

circuitspore

Aug 27, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    Round port!

8. You could get a pair of Fearful F112, and cover them with a blanket to get that Eden sound. ;) Joking!!!

9. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too much hip thrust
    Never run through Eden but I really like Ampeg through Mesa cabs. Takes the blanket off the sound.

10. blubass

blubass

Aug 3, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Current: Blackstar, DR strings, Nady. Previous endorsements with: GK, Rotosound, Ernie Ball, Cleartone, EMG, Dean, Dava Picks, Rebel Straps, Dickies
    Those Eden cabs are uniquely voiced... and I haven't run across anything that really nails that tone. The Ampeg PF112, and the 212AV are probably the two closest cabs I can remember having some similar qualities to the Eden 410 I played though.

11. bobcruz

bobcruz

Mar 10, 2004
    CA
    It's the XLT cabs that are uniquely voiced. The OP's 410T is identical to the first SWR Goliath 410, which Eden built for SWR, so it's a much more familiar sound and far easier to duplicate with other cabs, e.g., a pair of SWR 210s or the older Eden 210Ts. Bob

12. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Canada
    So the D-410T

I traded in my D-410XLT for an Epifani UL410 series 2....The only cab I auditioned that satisfied my need....I bought several other cabs...Bergantino 210 and 15 ceramic, Sadowsky, Markbass , during...but none replaced my Eden until Epifani