1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Want to order a Status, any tips?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rojo412, Nov 4, 2006.

1. rojo412

rojo412 Sit down, Danny... Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I figure that I should try to get the ball rolling on ordering a Status, even though I can't afford it right now. So basically, I wanted to hear from those who have done it, what the process is. I emailed them to say that I was interested, but I know people here are experienced in the matter and quick to respond.

Basically, how custom can you get before it gets to be outrageously priced? I know that the stock basses are not cheap, but what starts bumping the price up ungodly amounts? And how long should I expect before getting it?

The essence of the bass I have in mind is a Kingbass 5, leds, bendwell, 18mm spacing. I don't quite know whether I want carbon top or wood, guess that's a factor. And I have some ideas for electronics (active/passive, J pickups) that I don't even know if they'll do.

Anyone?

2. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    A bump for my buddy.....anybody? :confused:

3. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

Mar 4, 2005
    NJ
    OK, in a nutshell:

First off, Rob Green is a great guy to work with. He'll assist you every step of the way. He'll take pictures of wood he has in stock, make suggestions, you name it. When I was configuring my KingBass Artist, they required 50% down to start building it. As I'm sure you know, these are pricey basses. On top of that, you get slaughtered on the exchange rate. Mine came to approx. $5400

Status Graphite makes amazing instruments, but if I could do it over again, I would have gone for a different body shape. The tone, contruction, finish, materials are superb, but the tiny body with its tiny upper horn make for a very long reach to the 1st fret and a lot of neck dive. Not the fault of Status Graphite, but shame on me for not using my head and thinking it through a little more. To make the bass comfortable for me, I installed a bracket to move the strap attachment point close to the 12th fret. You can see it in the last two pics. Might look a little funky, but it's rock solid and works perfectly. Anyhow, just something to think about. Feel free to PM me if you need any more specific info/advice/help.

SPECS:
    Book-matched cocobolo facing with walnut back

Compound radius top

High gloss lacquer

Mono-rail bridge/tuners

34" scale headed woven graphite neck

19mm string spacing at the bridge

Gold hardware

Green front and side LED's

Treble / bass active E.Q.

Variable frequency midrange E.Q.

Phenolic fretted fingerboard

D-Tuner

18-Volt power supply

2 Status soap-bar pickups

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Yeah but Horny Toad, you look so damn hot playing that bass!!! :)

5. jedihighcouncil

jedihighcouncil

Oct 2, 2006
    Kansas
    That's a nice instrument, but I can't get used to seeing it with that headstock.

I've been tempted to get one myself but for that kind of money I've got to have some "hands-on" time with it.

6. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

Mar 4, 2005
    NJ

It's the shades. :ninja: :D :bassist:

[​IMG]

7. The shades, the sweet hat, the "hidden beer cooler" that's just GOT TO BE there somewhere! :) LOL!

8. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

Mar 4, 2005
    NJ

Beer? Who, us? Nah.....shots of Jack on that gig! LOL :D :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I know Lo end Punch recently ordered a Status six and received it in just two months or something crazy like that- he'd be another one to ask.

10. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

Mar 4, 2005
    NJ
    Oops, I never answered that question. Mine took approx. 3 months from initial order to delivery.

[​IMG]

11. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    As custom guys go, that seems really quick.

Okay, so let me ask these burning questions:
    Does the carbon top version cost less/more than wood or does it depend on the wood?
    Is there a price list for options or even some sort of quote sheet you can fill out?
    Can they do active passive stuff?

And that bass is amazing... it gives me dirty thoughts, I'll admit it.

12. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    Email Rob and ask him. Nice guy, very helpful and great to deal with.

13. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    WRT the J pups, depends if you want a NT or a BO. The NT beams are moulded with the pickup shapes in them already for the 1.5" wide pickups. Rob may be able or willing to fit the innards of his J pups into a suitable housing. If you wnt a BO, then it might not be an issue.
    Best still to ask him.

14. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

Mar 4, 2005
    NJ

I'm not sure if they have a price list for options. I just told Rob what I wanted and he broke it all down for me. Just write to him and ask. He's really easy to work with. He's super busy, and sometimes it might take him a day to get back to you, but he'll get back to you.

[​IMG]

15. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    status6.jpg

Okay, let me jump in here:) I ordered a Status Mark King Standard 6(the first and AFAIK, the only one in existance). I started emailing Rob when I got down in my head what I wanted. In the beginning it took him a while to answer and I almost gave up until I was told he was on vacation and the place was shut down. Eventually Rob did start to get crackin' with the replies even though he gets like 2 to 3 hundred a day from all around the world. My original order was an MK 6 string HEADLESS with 18mm string spacing a cocobolo top, maple veneer and walnut back. Black hardware was a must. My only two options was to make it a six when they had never done one but when Rob assured me that it would'nt be a problem i jumped right on it. The other option was to have a laquer finish since the Standard usually comes with a satin finish. I had heard stories about Status' "glass dipped like" gloss finish and I had to have that. I wanted the bend well but the cost took me well out of my ceiling price, so I didn't get it:( . The bass took 11 and a half weeks to get completed:eek:!! ,which to me, is unreal, well, this bass IS unreal, it is in all ways PERFECT. The sound is utterly ridiculous!! There are trim post inside the control compartment but you really wont need to use 'em unless you just want to blow away your whole bass collection, be my guest. The finish absolutely DOES look like it was dipped in glass. My bass has no neck dive issues at all, it balances very well. By the bass being asymmetrical youre gonna stretch a little further if it's a 34 scale. Rob requires half down , half upon delivery but make sure you got ALL the cash because he builds them in record time!!! Mine came out to $4105.. Rob shipped it to me OVERNIGHT!!! The customs charge was about $150.00. Oh, and, the picture above does this bass NO justice.

16. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Hey Horny...I noticed your bass has tuners at the bridge as well as being a "headed" Status...what's up with that?

17. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

Mar 4, 2005
    NJ

Just wanted to do something a little different. :)

[​IMG]

18. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    To those who've played both, what's the difference in the bolt on vs. the neck through in tone as well as price?

19. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    I have custom ordered from Rob (basses and a Guitar neck for myself and a guitar for my brother). The end result is worth mentioning really.
    Top notch communication, great luthier, very knowlegdable, great results). I have been Rob's customer for a decade now. The basses are still with me (apart from a 4str that I sold to my brother!!! still in the family!!!) and the guitar puts to shame any other guitar that comes close (alder body and some pickups that match the concept, helped too).

Sound wise I prefer the neck through with wooden wings (still it's only my opinion). Very full and balanced sound. No dead spots and a sustain to last for days. Versatile preamp as well.

20. rojo412

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    Well, I have an Empathy 5 that I absolutely adore. I have been thinking about ordering a Status to my tastes and the Stealth was my go-to until I started getting a bit more into Level 42. Now, I am jonesing to even PLAY a Kingbass, and if I could order to spec, it would just make my life.