Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Want to pickup a bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gigliwananacom, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Gigliwananacom

Gigliwananacom

Jan 30, 2006
    Im new to playing music in general and want to learn bass guitar. the thing is I haven't the first idea as to what type to get or what form works best. so my question is what brands do you think a n00b like me would be interested in? I know I want a four string and my price range is limited to $200 - $400.

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY

It really comes down to feel and sound for a first bass. Pretty much any fender precision or jazz bass in your price range would be an excellent starting bass. Maybe try to find someone who plays bass to come shopping with you, or ask someone at the store to go over their selection with you so that you can hear what it sounds like. This is only helpfull of course if you have no idea how to play bass. If you do have some experience, just trial and error will help you out. Go to a store, and have fun!

3. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    go bass shopping at Guitar Center or something. generally in my area, the small shops have NO selection, and even wrongly labeled instruments (like an Ibanez with a tag that says Fender). despite Guitar Centers notoriously bad staff (i've personally had no troubles with them) they have a good selection for beginners. play what's in your price range, or even out of it if you want. then pick the one you like the most. make sure to buy a decent amp, too, cuz that's what will give you good sound (plus technique and whatever). and play music that you like to listen to, then go from there to decide which bass gives you that sound. listen hard! it took me a long time to figure out the difference between bass songs.

4. Gigliwananacom

Gigliwananacom

Jan 30, 2006
    I have a couple friends I could go shopping with thats a really good idea. :) to follow up with this topic what amps do you recommend?

5. lomer

lomer

Mar 20, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    low end laney combos sound pretty sweet but if you're looking for something cheap, grab a hartke combo or somethin....