Want to put a Ground Lift switch in A SWR head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bass4god, Jul 1, 2001.

1. bass4god

Jan 1, 2001
    I'm getting a radio station feed back in my setup. Has any one ever put a ground lift switch in a SWR head?
  2. leper

Jun 21, 2001
    i dont know what you have for a bass, but id guess thats where the interference lies...i have an swr that is dead quiet with my modulus, but picks up some stuff from my ibanez sr1200...id look at your bass b4 you go and void a warranty
  3. Hello Bass4god.

Exactly what is a ground lift switch? Do you mean you're proposing to disconnect the ground (earth) from the amp? If so, just a quick word to say that it's a potentially very dangerous practice. Keep the ground connected and look elsewhere for the problem.

Rockin John
  4. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Per Leper's comment, try a different cable between your bass and your amp before you do an expensive mod on your amp.

And make sure you're using a shielded cable -- cheap, unshielded ones or ones that are not properly shielded act like antennas for radio signals, 60-cycle hum, etc.

(Cable between the head and cab, however, should be an UNshielded speaker cable!)

Good luck.

P.S. And fill out your profile, bubba -- it will helps us get to know you better and answer your questions.
  5. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    If you find the need for lifting the ground. go to a hardware store and buy one of those $2 adaptor plugs designed to convert a three-prong plug to a two prong. Keep it in your gear bag. It is a lot cheaper and easier and won't modify your amp thus not voiding warrenties or lowering future re-sale value.

Although I agree with the posters here that it is unlikely the ground that is causing your problem. RF problems are almost always a shielding issue. Either in the cable that you are using or in the guitar.

6. Have you tried it in different plugs? I used to get a CB radio from my neighbour's house, but it was only when I would use certain outlets at my house. (some are grounded and some aren't)