Want to reload a SWR cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by stringsmith, Mar 1, 2006.

1. stringsmith

Apr 7, 2005
    I have a old SWR goliath Jr. cab with reconed original speakers. It has not been right since the reconing. The things fart out on most low notes and sounds like paper when I play on the low b string on my six. I was told by a speaker guy that it could be a bad reconing job but he wasn't sure. What I want to know is what is a good naked speaker to load the cab with? I saw some 200w neo 10's on the carvin site that seem like a nice power upgrade and lighter speakers to boot. The speaker guy said I couldn't upgrade because the cab was "tuned" for those particular speakers and that would affect the sound of the cab. Is that true? What speaker is best for working with the SWR 2x10 boxes?
  2. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    talk to swr and see how much they want for exact replacement speakers. its the safest way to go, unless you have money to experiment.
  3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    actually. swr won't be able to help you if it is a goliath jr or goliath jr2. i don't think they even use those speakers any more. One option is to talk to eden. They made the original goliath jr cab, and the specs on the jr 2 are pretty much the same except they used PAS speakers. In any event, i think eden still makes the speakers that they put in the goliath and goliath jr, (which became the eden 410t and 210t - NOT XLT). Eden did change the design of the actual 210T cabinet, but they used the same speakers.

who did the recone? was it a goliath jr or jr 2?
  4. Jason Hollar

Jason Hollar Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area

I'm going to follow this thread with interest -- I've had the same thoughts lately. I have a local speaker builder looking in to this for me. I had the same thought -- what about some higher powered, lighter weight "neo" speakers?

My Goliath III Jr 2x10 has developed a rattle in one of the speakers. I plan on taking it apart today to see if anything is rubbing against it -- or if it's a blown woofer.

I also own a G III 4x10 and am pushing some serious power through it. I know eventually I'll have to pay the piper and consider a speaker upgrade.

Those Carvin speakers look interesting...did you get the new magazine yet??? They now have a 1,200w 4x10 cab (@ 4Ohms) that's weighing in at 76 pounds...all for $699! I'm not a big fan of Carvin amps or PA mixers...but I must admit, their speakers sound pretty good (I'm in several bands that use the PA stuff) and the bass cabs aren't so bad either...
  5. stringsmith

Apr 7, 2005
    SWR did the reconing job, at least that's who I sent it to. It is an old 80's eden built jr. I would really love to load that baby with some more powerful speakers. I am very tempted by carvin the more I browse their site the more tempted I become.
  6. seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    If the current speakers are no good you got some choices.
    1. Buy a replacement cabinet complete with new speakers.
    2. Recone the current speakers - too expensive, and they're probably not worth it.
    3. Try to locate "replacement" speakers that match them. Going to be tough.
    4. Or just put in whatever speakers you like. Chances are high it's going to be as good as any bass cabinet you'll buy to replace it anyhow. You can play with the cabinet tuning by changing the port, or stuffing the cab with polyfill. If you don't like it, you can sell it to someone who does.
  7. ctbass

Jun 21, 2005
    I blew one of the orginal speakers in my Goliath Jr. They were Edens and the speaker guy told me the handling capability Was half the 300w the cab was supposedly rated. Anyway, I reloaded the cab with Emminence speakers. Tight punchy, no farting. Pretty happy overall.
  8. stringsmith

Apr 7, 2005
    I like your answer. I'm going to go for it. the carvin drivers are so cheap (inexpensive) that if it sucks I will put the old ones back in and sell the thing and use the money to have a cab made for the carvins. I'll have to wait to next pay day but I'll holla back and let you all know how it turns out.
  9. you're doomed. surprised nobody has told you that.

Replacing speakers ain't like dusting crops, boy. Without precise calculations, we'd fly right through a star, or bounce too close to a supernova, and that would end your gig real quick, wouldn't it?"
    orange joe likes this.
  10. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    If you're going to keep plonking this same line into all the "Replacement speaker" threads, are you prepared to cover the costs of the damages when things go horribly wrong? Go on, put your money where your mouth is! I dare you!
  11. foose4string

Feb 4, 2006
    I was recently told by a local SWR service shop that you can get replacements for the Jr from SWR(Fender). I think he told me around 120-150 bucks per driver. The guy also told me he put some Eminence Deltas in one of these cabs and it sounded fine. the owner actually liked them better than the stock speakers.
  12. First time I've used that line actually. I'm not sure why I should pay the cost of something going horribly wrong because I said you need to be careful about putting just any driver in a cab. Let's see... someone does the calculations and gets the right speaker, sure I'll pay the $0 damages when nothing goes wrong because it is the right speaker for the cab. Unless he puts it in wrong, the right speaker will be just fine.

If he puts any old speaker in there and it damages the speaker, why should I pay for the damages when someone didn't do the calculations, when I advocated doing the calculations?

Me: There's a train coming. Be careful, don't walk in front of it.

Person I was speaking to : Umm... (walks in front of train, gets flattened)

You: You're getting sued! Don't tell people not to walk in front of trains!!

I think one of us is using Bizarro-logic.
  13. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

The Eden's used PAS Speakers, which were top of the line
    with cast frames.

I called SWR (Fender actually) and got the skinny on their
    current speakers. Those are made by Eminence today. I won't
    say they are junk but they feature pressed steel basket
    construction nowadays.

I will bet dollars to donuts that when you had them reconed
    they did it to the Eminence specs, not the PAS driver specs.

Why don't you just do what all of us have had to do,
    download a free version of WinISD, measure the interior
    volume of the cabinets and computer model your replacement
    drivers based on their T/S specs?

That way you will be reasonably assured of a successful
    replacement job.

The link for WinISD is in the thread listed in my sig near
    the bottom of page 1.

Good luck!
  14. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    So we actually agree. That's good. Your post came across as being sarcastic in "cab science is a load of crap" way. I guess that's the danger if the internet - it's so faceless and expressionless that things sometimes come across the wrong way. My bad.
  15. stringsmith

Apr 7, 2005
    Wow! you guys are so deep. I did'nt plan on doing all that. Maybe I will just shelve the cabinet and get an Avatar neo 210 because that is cheaper than spending $300 plus to load a cab worth $250 used. The thing works It just can't handle the low b or moderate to loud volumes. It is fine if I use it in a VERY small venue. I don't know. Im gettin dizzy!
  16. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

You should be able to load it with GREAT drivers
    for under $150 with a little research.
  17. Buzz

Feb 3, 2004
    Metro Detroit
    That's interesting. Here's the specs from the web site.

Speakers (2) 10" custom-designed PAS® drivers, P/N 0067077000.
  18. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Load it with Eminence BP102s. While going to the trouble of finding an exact match for the cab has its benefits, in your case the main spec that counts to remedy farting out is xmax, and the BP102 has twice the xmax of most drivers, four times that of the Delta 10. If you want to go lightweight go with the new Deltalite II 2510 if you need 500 watts power handling, or the Basslite S2010 if 300 watts will do. Both will function fine in a typical commercial ten alignment, but both also have somewhat less xmax than the BP102.
  19. jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    I blew one of the original tens in my Goliath jr. Its the older rear ported model. I emailed PAS if they still made the original speaker for it. They said they did and it was $75. Fender don't know squat about SWR, even though they own it.
  20. stringsmith

Apr 7, 2005
    The BP102's are for sale on American Music supply's site for $79 not bad for a 200w speaker. Maybe I'll give them a shot.