Want to replace pickups on Ibanez. Help!!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bartman, Apr 6, 2005.

1. hey, i have a 2000 Ibanez sr800. The bass is cool but the sound isn't as great as I'd like for it to be. It has a P/J configuration and I'd like to put some good pickups in there like Barts or Emg's or something thats good for rock/metal. Any info would be appreciated.

Below is a pic (not mine) of what the bass looks like if it helps.

2. Rod Harder

Rod Harder Supporting Member

I'd recommend an EMG P/J set, they are quiet, lots of output and great sounding.
  3. ok I haven't changed pickups in a bass ever but i have some experience with circuitry and soldering. so i have one Q. Those pickups, they need to be compatible with the electronics inside my ibanez right? if so, are they?

4. Rod Harder

Rod Harder Supporting Member

The EMG pickup set will come with 2 volume controls and a single tone control, for a 3 knob system, if you want active bass and treble you should get the EMG BTS control as well, which gives you separate bass and treble controls.
    I don't think that the preamp circuit in your SR800 is compatible with EMG pickups, however I could be wrong.
  5. im goin with wrong on that one. you can have as many preamps as you want, whatever type you want. the input from the pickups to the pre should be set for low impedence (for instance if there is a 500k vol pot before the preamp, switch it out with one of the pots that emg gives you.
  6. I think you'll find that the general consensus on TB is to replace the preamp first. The stock Ibanez preamp is not up to par with any of the big 3 ie: Basslines, EMG or Bartolini.
    It could be all you need. If not, then go for the pups. Running a nice set of EMG's through your stock preamp won't get you the results you're looking for :)