1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Want to ship a SVT or other heavy tube head?

Discussion in 'For Sale: Amps, Preamps, and Cabinets' started by the dude, Apr 27, 2006.

1. blockinlay

blockinlay

Feb 21, 2009
    Phila Pa
    I would never trust a packing company for something heavy. I got screwed several times. One UPS store shipped an amp and cab back to back in the same box with packing peanuts. Wrecked and delivered torn open with no packing peanuts left. I've had the UPS guys dump amps out of the back of the truck. I usually meet them so this doesn't happen, but the boxes are usually all wrecked by that point anyhow. Most people can't pack worth a damn.

I always double box. I have found the used bubble wrap from furniture stores to be the best. It's very heavy weight poly with small bubbles, is huge, and FREE. They just throw it out. You can't pop this stuff. I wrap the amp once with this and tape with reiforced tape. I go to a bike store and get bicycle boxes for FREE, then cut them to surround the amp complelety, then tape with more reinforced tape. (Uline.com for the tape) I wrap with more of that heavy bubble wrap and search for an appropriate box. I line and reinforce the box with as much of the bike boxes cardboard to take up the space. Shipping guidelines are 2-1/2 inches, so if you are shipping something valueable and heavy, and want an insurance claim paid, you need to follow that. I reinforce every corner with cut down bike box corners. If you can find an outer box with grab holes, that's a plus. Use lots of reinforced tape, and I mean lots. Think how you would want the amp shipped to you, and plan for it to be droppped repeatedly on every corner and upsidown. I've never had a problem with something I've shipped, but I have gotten so many amps and cabs shipped poorley that I will only buy local.
    Takes about an hour to box like I do, but it's worth the effort.

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    blockinlay... I like the way you think!!!

I second the distrust of "professional" packers to pack heavy items. I recently bought a 90 lb. combo, it was "Professionally Packed" by FedEx Kinkos to the tune of about $40+. When I inquired about it locally, I was told that it would need a custom box since the largest standard box was 24 by 24 by something.

The amp made it safely, but it was wrapped (top, front, bottom, back) with a couple layers of bubble wrap then placed in a "custom" box made of three or four taped-together boxes and stuffed with crumpled up brown paper. The amp was flopping around when I got it, but it made it safely.

3. I'm going to be shipping and amp that has metal and spring tube retainers over the power tubes. I was worried about them falling out in transit, but it almost seems like they'd be safer in their sockets with the retainers on.

What say you TB? Tubes left in, or taken out and bubble wrapped?

4. Absolutely take them out and bubble wrap. I have sent tubes in a separate package before even.

5. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I'd take 'em out, bubble wrap them and pack them in a small box. If you have room, pad the little box and pack that inside the amp.

I always assume that OEMs count on a certain number of destroyed amps/tubes etc. when they design their packaging. From a personal perspective, it's cheaper to way, way over pack stuff and have it arrive safely than to set the bar lower and then have to deal with shipping damage.

6. I need advice on how I should ship a Fender 400PS head (about 84 lbs) dimensons are 12x28x13

7. akaTRENT

akaTRENT

Jan 10, 2009
    New Jersey
    I shippped one today with roadcase. 130 pounds insured to 1,200 had them pack it. 200 smackers haha. only going from nj to pa. whoah! Haha

8. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Heck, for $200 I would have rented a car and delivered it!

9. BASSKADET

BASSKADET Gold Supporting Member

May 17, 2007
    NC
    I packed the SVT I shipped encased in blueboard

10. akaTRENT

akaTRENT

Jan 10, 2009
    New Jersey
    Yeah the quote was way less. but then I got there and bam.

11. panama

panama

May 26, 2009
    Detroit
    Having a Peavey VB-2 shipped to me and it is being sent in the original box with original packing material. I hope that works!

12. Jonyak

Jonyak

Oct 2, 2007
    Ottawa, Ont
    So I just won an SVT on ebay, and the guy is quoting me over $400 for shipping.

it is going from the US to canada, but that seems a bit extreme.

13. anonymous02282011

anonymous02282011 Guest

Jun 27, 2007
    it is, and you may have to pay tax on top of that. I can't imagine shipping an SVT costing more than 200 dollars US to Can.

I own an SVT and have shipped many items through UPS.

14. Jonyak

Jonyak

Oct 2, 2007
    Ottawa, Ont
    I checked into it.

He is getting them to package it so that it can be insured. which I am ok with.

Hey I just bought a 1974 SVT for $1k, so I am still well ahead!

15. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Where's it coming from?

16. Jonyak

Jonyak

Oct 2, 2007
    Ottawa, Ont
    oregon.

17. wimpy

wimpy

Aug 1, 2004
    Czech Republic
    good luck Jonyak!...I get mine DB680 from USA (I live in Europe) no any demage...I sold it to guy from Germany this preamp was again shipped with all 5 tubes inside, well it's not that heavy as SVT-CL and it's just preamp so no big tubes inside...well I think there is no big problem to send amp with tube instaled...if you travel and move stuff it's similar as post shipping...just my opinion

18. Rok Hollywood

Rok Hollywood

Jan 20, 2011
    Any advice on packing/shipping an Ampeg 4x10 HLF Classic cab? FedEx or UPS? If anyone has shipped one of these before, please post or PM me. Thanks!

19. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    For big cabinets, I usually build a custom box for them starting with a flattened out refrigerator or washer/dryer box or similar (I'm always on the look-out for what I call "big cardboard").

I often cover the cabinet in a plastic garbage bag or wrap it with plastic sheet or something to protect it from scuffing during transist. I may tape a single layer of cardboard over the grille...certainly would with a cloth grille like an Ampeg Classic cabinet.

I find some styrofoam sheet (may purchase a sheet from Home Depot if needed)...often 1-1/2 in. thick. I cut the sheets to approximate the size of the cabinet and then essentially wrap the whole thing with cardboard (using a long board to pre-form the corners). Another method I've used is to take extra cardboard and make a bunch of 8 in. wide strips that I form into long corner protectors. Stack three or four of those up along each edge and then wrap the whole thing in cardboard.

I sometimes use wood glue to glue down the seams and flaps on the new box and use a whole lot of tape.

I use FedEx Ground (or Home Delivery for packages of less than 70 lbs) because their rates are better, I get better treatment when I drop the package off and I've had fewer problems with shipping damage over the years.

I've used Forward Air for shipping things like SVT-810s and big Acoustic 301 folded horn cabinets...but those have to be crated (which I've made out of 1/2 in. CDX plywood and 2x4s).

Have fun and good luck!!!!