1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Want to ship a SVT or other heavy tube head?

Discussion in 'For Sale: Amps, Preamps, and Cabinets' started by the dude, Apr 27, 2006.

1. Rok Hollywood

Rok Hollywood

Jan 20, 2011
    Thanks for all the info. Billy! I appreciate it!

2. gwreid

gwreid

Apr 8, 2005
    Utah
    Just throwing an idea out there. I recently shipped two amps. About 20 to 30 lbs each. I first sealed the amp in a plastic bag and then taped pipe insulation to every edge. The pipe insulation is the heavy duty stuff you would slide over exposed pipes in your basement. It's made of a very dense polystyrene like product which is much denser than the poly sheets. I used the one inch internal diameter size which is about 2.5 inches outside diameter. Anyway, it comes sliced the full length so you can get it over the pipes. I made another slice to remove one quarter of the material leaving an open tube that can very easily be cut to length and attached to each edge of the amp. I then made a custom box to size and used poly sheets to fill the gaps between the edge protectors. I think this protects the edges and corners a bit better than just the sheets and certain will help with any edge impacts.

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Interesting idea except that it focuses all of the stress on the edges of the box, nothing is distributed across the sides, bottom, etc. No doubt it's fine for lighter stuff but not for heavy anything.

4. gwreid

gwreid

Apr 8, 2005
    Utah
    Hi Billy, for the sides etc., I "used poly sheets to fill the gaps between the edge protectors".

5. michael_atw

michael_atw

Feb 28, 2009
    Jamestown, NY
    I honestly cannot believe that; I've shipped 500 packages with FedEx. I can't even ship a 9 lb. guitar body from CT to CA for $16, without insurance.

6. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    Update:

Just shipped an all-tube head from Indy to Atlanta.

Got the dish pack from the Box Shoppe - $8.50

Took it to FedEx with the head.

We packed it together.

Cost of shipping including $1,500 insurance: $35.38

Amp arrived like it left. Total cost: $46.88.

Easy.

DanMetiv likes this.
  7. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    Question for you all: I have an SVT 2 Pro (4U head), a 1U tuner, and a 1U power conditioner all mounted in a RoadReady 6U rack case.

Is there any feasible way to ship that as it is? Or do I really need to take the amp out and ship it separately, ship the tuner and power conditioner separately, and (maybe) just buy a new rack?

(I moved from FL to CA over the summer and had to leave some things (like my SVT) in storage. Now I really want my SVT out here with me)

8. matti777

matti777

Dec 13, 2007
    Edmonton, Canada
    I didn't read through every post so perhaps this has been mentioned...ship in an Igloo cooler. I had a transmission shipped to me this way. Just pack it with dense foam pieces inside so it can't be moved around.

9. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Can you share the approx cost of shipping a 110lb cabinet?

10. michael_atw

michael_atw

Feb 28, 2009
    Jamestown, NY
    I shipped one from NY to CT a few months back and I think it was $50 with FedEx Home Delivery (with my discount which is about 10%). I think it was 100-110lbs. It mostly depends on the distance and size more than weight.

11. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Zip codes and Dimensions make a big difference.

Best bet is to go to fedex.com and ups.com, plug in the numbers (and zip codes) and see what you come up with.

For worst case cost, I use Bellingham, WA as it's about as far from Chicago as you can get in the lower 48. Zip codes can be found at usps.com

12. SVE

SVE

Dec 20, 2010
    Great Guide! I'm wondering should I be shipping the amp with the tubes in it? I'm guessing if the packing is good enough it should be cool,right?

13. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I generally remove them, pack them very carefully in another box and place the box inside the amp (if there's room).

14. SVE

SVE

Dec 20, 2010
    Okay.. I might pack them separately. I just got quoted $185 for shipping at UPS.. Ridiculous.

15. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Ground? From where to where?

Is that just shipping (and insurance) or packing/insurance/shipping?

Check at www.FedEx.com their Ground service is less expensive and the service/treatement is (IMHO) much better.

16. This is tough to understand since FedEx charges an OS3 oversize surcharge of $55 on anything over 110" in girth.

17. Marblou2

Marblou2 Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2013
    Vermont
    Looking for a used Aguilar DB 751 !!

18. bimoho2alof

bimoho2alof

Apr 27, 2013
    and ss, if i may say, you put more time in your posts, than anyone on this board. thx for that.

ok, so, i just watched it.. (beetles themed)

kree- wow!!!! and with a cold at that, wow! also love her stage presence. i got super chills for the first time this whole year.

burnell- (glee boy).. churchy but good. even freak judge said it was churchy. but it was good.

amber- like her vibrato but... nasally, pitchy, and mariah never heard the song before? wow. sad. the singer looks so much like michelle obama. kind of freaky.

lazaro- flat and just awful, ouch. for the first time, i felt sorry for him. the ceo man had to have a "clicker" to keep him on tempo in practice? my mom had a band back in the day, and her backup was unable to sing harmony. so, mom worked with her forever trying to teach her how to sing harmony. why? move in and find another. so, laz is not "prime" material. but i did feel bad for him. they better not vote him on though.

candice- wow. even the band had fun, was super. freaky judge talked freaky odd stuff that was inappropriate again. then randy's reply to her cracked me up.

paul- blah. band was great though. even freaky judge said it, the way it was. she got to the point.

19. michael_atw

michael_atw

Feb 28, 2009
    Jamestown, NY
    I can show the receipt if you like...the cab was probably 36"x14"x2.

20. Waynebass

Waynebass

Nov 21, 2011
    I shipped a 8 pound amp to texas from cali fedex and it was 46 bucks,i dont get how some of you shipped so cheap,