1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Want to sound like bagpipes!!!!!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Johnny StingRay, Jan 25, 2021.

1. This is definitely "tongue in cheek".............I got it in my head that since I will probably be fully retired from teaching by June, (long story short.......retired Detroit sped. teacher, now teaching ACT/SAT test prep for an international test prep complany, but everything going all on-line and I'm not fast enough to keep up with all the tech!), and that I would like to learn how to play the bagpipes! I'm of Scot ancestry and have always loved the pipes. Yes, I know that is weird! I would just love to learn to play a dirge and go out to my backyard on a warm foggy night and play.........hopefully having a kilt by then!!! (My grandfather wrote two books tracing our Clan back to the 1100s and our Clan is somewhat famous.....if you've watched the move "Entrapment" you've seen the Clan's castle!! You can do the research on why that castle was in the movie...)
    Anyway..............I was looking up prices for bagpipes and lessons, and with my retirement funds....that "ain't gonna" happen!!!! Soooooooooo, is there an effect that would make my bass sound like bagpipes?????? I can run an extension out to my backyard and still play a dirge on my bass!!! Wooaaaaa, my neighbors are really cool, but they might not be really happy about me doing that!!!!!
    Oh, I should mention that I do play through a Boss ME-20B

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
    bassb66 and Wannabass like this.
  2. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right?

Apr 9, 2012
    Occasional Beta Tester for Confusion Studios, Singular Sound, and Source Audio
    Google "EHX Bag9"
    And then once you realize that was an April Fool's Joke from a few years ago, the answer to your question is unfortunately no, I don't think so.

3. 5ACEFCE0-8E73-45E0-B163-30EE682119F6.jpeg
    Gamechanger Audio plus. Expensive but easy to use.
    F20051A7-3381-4433-A6AC-2396B1342CE3.png
    Ebow. Cheap but not so easy.

Without a drone note it ain’t no pipes.
    Good luck, I can play odd versions of pipe tunes with an Ebow but I wouldn’t put my neighbours in the cross-fire willingly.

4. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    I’m thinking that a looper pedal could work for the chanter notes.

Johnny StingRay and Roland GR 88 like this.
  5. +1 for the Ebow. Use drone notes, maybe with a looper. Check out the Scottish band Big Country from the 80s.

6. Tosh

Tosh

Jul 12, 2020
    Salem, Oregon
    Never heard EBow used on bass!

Anything that you can use to trigger a drone note and then play a melody against will emulate bagpipes, but if you really want it to sound like you bought a set, you'll need a synthesizer of some kind.

My solution is a Godin MIDI-capable bass guitar connected to a Roland synthesizer. Very convincing, somewhat annoying, much easier to play IMHO.

Not cheap, however

Johnny StingRay likes this.
  7. Rev. Cornelius

Rev. Cornelius Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2007
    Boston, MA
    If there is Shriner's pipe band in your area contact them and let them know your interest. No group I know of would be more willing to help you learn. These people are the best of the best, and if your are serious, they can make it happen. I am sure there are other organizations that would help, but the Shriner's are the one's of whom I have first hand knowledge.

JRA, Oddly, Border and 2 others like this.
  8. B Dax

B Dax

Sep 8, 2018
    Yes, like the post above. If you’re really interested in the pipes look for a community pipe band. There will be several in Michigan and one may just be within driving distance from you.

Most of these bands are willing to help you out and can give you information to get started. Many offer free lessons once they know you’re really committed.

Check it out, but be warned, they’re a tough and temperamental animal to tame and will take lots of practice. Good luck.

9. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    EHX Freeze will sustain your note forever. There's a real bagpipe guy who rents our studio just to practice alone! Those things are LOUD!

10. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Michael Manring used an EBow a lot.

11. Rev. Cornelius

Rev. Cornelius Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2007
    Boston, MA
    "they’re a tough and temperamental animal to tame." The pipes or the pipe band? My experience is both......

JRA, Oddly, Roland GR 88 and 3 others like this.
  12. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    If you're even halfway serious about playing bagpipes, you'll spend the first year or two on a practice chanter...much cheaper than bagpipes assuming your wife still lets you in the house with a chanter. If you get yourself hooked up with a pipe band, sometimes they will loan you pipes to get going. A set of modern plastic pipes are going to be WAY more affordable than a vintage set of African blackwood/silver pipes.

My experience growing up. My father was a piper, pipe major in a number of bands and had many many students over the years. I heard pipes and/or chanter every day of my life while living with my parents. I became a drummer.

if you just want the sound of bagpipes and none of the associated agony, there's always this:

13. knirirr

knirirr

May 28, 2018
    Oxford, England
    A practice chanter at least would not be too expensive or difficult to get; should playing that be to your liking then some sort of practice pipe might might perhaps be affordable. With the practice chanter I'd expect there's enough info. on YouTube to get you started.
    Where it gets difficult, and some lessons might be of considerable use, is blowing the full instrument. Even so, there might be enough information online if you are determined (and have somewhere suitable to practice).
    FWIW I have some pipes myself, and had lessons for years whilst living in Scotland. No time to play them at the moment, unfortunately.

14. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts

bholder and Johnny StingRay like this.
  15. Definitely looking into a practice chanter....we will see.

bholder and DirtDog like this.
  16. Ostie

Ostie

Aug 1, 2018
    Mid MI
    Once you get good on the pipes, you can join up with a banjo player and accordionist and get lots of gigs!

J_Bass, herndonbassist, Oddly and 9 others like this.
  17. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    Q: What's the difference between bagpipes and onions?
    A: No one cries when you chop up bagpipes.

JRA, allen_m, DirtDog and 7 others like this.
  18. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    EBow and maybe a C4 pedal from Source Audio. Sounds like a fun diversion.

19. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    And congrats on your pending retirement. Any tips to "trick" a 17-year-old boy into actually using his SAT prep tools?

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 3, 2021