Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Want to start on upright...

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by tplyons, Oct 4, 2003.

1. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Alright, for those of you who don't know me, I'm a sixteen year old male from North Jersey who absolutely loves music and is always looking for new toys. I've played alto sax for nine years, tenor for two years, electric bass for almost three, and a bunch of other lesser known half-assed instruments.

I never much cared for stringed instruments until a few years ago, then I grabbed an electric for my fourteenth birthday. Only recently have I fallen in love with the sound, and look of upright basses. It's too late to join orchestra, they're way more advanced than I would be, perhaps I could join next year if I start now.

The question, how would I go about starting? Would you recommend I buy a cheap, used 3/4 sized upright bass, and grab some books and hope for the best? Rent a 3/4? Borrowing from the school is out of the picture, our music department is already in the pits as far as funding and every upright has been claimed.

Also, how do you remember positions? Muscle memory?

2. FidgetStone

FidgetStone

Jun 30, 2002
    Allen, TX
    I would recommend that you rent an upright for a couple of months and get used to it. This will help you decide if you want to drop major coin on a nice bass, and keep you from buying a "craptastic" bass before you know what sound and tone you want to achieve.

You can usually rent for about $40 - $50 per month.

What ever you do, hook up with some local luthiers and a teacher, and don't be in a hurry.

Good Luck . . .

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Alright guys, I've pulled some strings (no pun intended) at school and semi-joined orchestra so I could attend lessons through the school. Will be playing with the full orchestra coming January, and I'm very excited. After my first lesson today, I actually found the transition surprisingly easy and my ear is better than I thought. I should be buying one soon, but I want to know how to play one first! Thanks for the input guys!

4. Originally posted by TIIPII NYLONS:
    "Borrowing from the school is out of the picture, our music department is already in the pits as far as funding and every upright has been claimed."

So, welcome to the Dark Side. You got a bass from the orchestra after all. You´ll need one to practice with, so try to borrow the orchestra bass while you´re searching your own. Good luck!

R2

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Well, technically, it's someone else's and he doesn't know I'm using it. I just get whatever's not being used that day.