1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

want to take on this Conklin from Ebay?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fire-Starter, Apr 24, 2006.

1. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
  2. *** did he do to those electronics. It looks like he went prying with a gorilla bar?!?!?!?

3. pointbass

pointbass Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    When I saw that listing I thought exactly the same thing .... why take the bridge and nut? Makes no sense whatsoever to butcher a fairly unusual bass like that for parts. It's not like you can't get a 7 string bridge elsewhere, and almost any repair joint can cut a nut for that ..... Plus, as crhoton said, *** with the electronics????

It's interesting enough to keep an eye on it, but most likely someone will push the bidding and it'll quickly lose its "cheap bass-easy fix" appeal for me.

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    After seeing that wiring pile, I have no doubt the electronics don't work.

5. JKwo

JKwo

Jan 12, 2006
    Berklee
    Eh... if you're gonna have such a deeply colored finish, you're usually better off painting it solid, IMO.

6. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Never judge a finish by crappy eBay photos.

The nut might have been broken changing strings, and the guy may have wanted to upgrade the bridge on this bass. Maybe he sold the original bridge to pay for the new one and his water pump broke so he had to use the money to pay for that.

Maybe he was planning on stringing it F#BEADGC and the nut and bridge needed to be changed to make room for the bigger strings.

You never know.

If I were looking, I'd leave the pickups, dump the rat's nest, and put the new parts on there. It'd probably be a great bass as long as some bonehead doesn't bump it up over $900. But, there's always a bonehead. :scowl:

7. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    The electronics didn't go south because he tapped on the pickups with a screw driver. The way for someone to tell if your electronics are functional is to plug in and tap the pickups.