Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Want to try a Nordstrand or other boutique basses (near Santa Cruz)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by natrab, Sep 23, 2004.

1. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I am starting to get back into 5 string again and I'm feeling like getting a boutique (a slight upgrade from my Brice, though the Brice works exceptionally well). Once I made the jump (with my Rick Turner Electroline 4), I realized how much I like custom basses.

The easy thing about getting a Rick Turner is that he lives in Santa Cruz and it was quite easy to try the bass before I bought. I'm very picky about my necks and want to make sure I find the perfect bass. Sadly, I won't be able to make Bassquake in San Jose :(

Is there anyone in this area who has a Nordstrand, Fodera, or similar type boutique bass they would let me try?

If you haven't tried a Rick Turner I could bring mine along for you to play with (along with a 6 pack for your hospitality).

I'm also interested to meet any TBers in this area (I haven't heard much about a south bay get together).

2. Hman

Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Hi there! I'm planning to attend BassQuake this weekend in San Jose...planning to bring my Nordie and JP...want to come?? Norm Stockton...Nathan East and more :D :hyper:
    Schedule:

9:00 Setup
    12:00 Doors open
    1:00-1:05 Introduction - (Presentation Room)
    1:05-1:55 General Session 1 with Myron Dove (Presentation Room)
    2:15-3:15 Breakout Session (Norm Stockton in Cafe, David Friesen in
    Presentation Room)

Mid Day Performance (Cafe)
    3:30-4:00 Trip Wamsley
    4:05-4:35 Todd Johnson & Kristin Korb
    4:40-5:10 Michael Manring

(exhibit hall closes at 6:00pm)

5:30-6:20 General Session 2 with Stuart Hamm (Presentation Room)
    6:30-7:30 General Session 3 with Nathan East (Presentation Room)
    7:30-8:00 All-Star Jam (Presentation Room)

http://64.4.18.250/cgi-bin/linkrd?_...95991341&hm___action=http://www.bassquake.org

3. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Unfortunately I have a gig on Saturday that will go until 3:00pm and then I have to buzz straight to Salinas for a tech rehearsal of the Rocky Horror Show.

4. I'm too jealous that you're attending a clinic with Nathan! He's such a groove monster.

Hope you have a great time and take some pics! ;) :D

5. Hman

Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Wow...that's too bad. You can try John Prock down Monterey. He has a great collections of Foderas He got a F bass studio hanging in the store too. Many other goodies in the store. I think is Prockenlang here in TB. His store is Music Unlimited, 425 Alvarado St. in Monterey. I just tried the Glock amp over the weekend...good stuff :eek:

6. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Yeah, I've talked to him (actually about the whole Tara Labs debate). I'm really interested in trying a nordstrand though. Any chance you wanna crash at my place after bassquake so I can play with your bass? Hehe.

You can play with all my Mesa gear.

7. hippiesandwich

hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Affiliated with Looperlative Audio Products
    In town you may want to check out Sullivan Music in Santa Cruz, they have some pretty nice stuff. Also, if you don't mind a bit if a drive Guitar Showcase in San Jose has several Alembics and Gelb Music in Redwood City carries several top brands as well.

8. Rick Turner

Rick Turner Commercial User

Jul 14, 2004
    I design and build electric basses and pickups under the Turner, Renaissance, and Electroline brand names.
    That would be SYLVAN Music here in SC. Wonderful store, very nice bass room, lots of my stuff!

9. hippiesandwich

hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Affiliated with Looperlative Audio Products
  10. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Yeah, I know Sylvan very well. It's where I got my Rick Turner (hello there, btw). I'm also in a band with the owner's son.

Sylvan has Mike Lull, Rick Turner, Lakland (though none of the high end ones), MTD (also the low end ones), and a couple others.

Still none of those other boutique basses that I would like to try.

11. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    The last time I was in Gelb, they had MTD, Lull, Lakland, F Bass, and some other not-so-special ones. No Nordstrands that I could see. I am going back this week so I will keep an eye out.

12. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    They also tend to stock Zon, some Smith, Spector, Modulus, some high-end Yamahas... but no Nordstrand, Elrick, Foderas, etc. They have dozens of Anderson guitars in stock, you'd think they could expand their bass line a bit! :p Actually, they do have a pretty good bass lineup as-is...

13. Hman

Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA

Yup..no Nordies at Geld...I have the only Nordstrand and JP basses in the Bay :D