Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Want to try an Acme 410 in the Bay Area

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mario Lewis, Feb 12, 2005.

1. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    I've been a closet Acme 410 lurker for a while. I'm getting ready to come into some moo-lah and I'd like to try an Acme 410 BEFORE I order one to see if the low end is really all that folks say it is and how much power they really need to thump.

Anyone in the SF/Oakland - NorCal Bay area have one that they'd let me try out?

I'm talking "in person" and "in your presence", no loaner stuff for a gig (heck - I don't have a steady gig!) I just need about 30 minuts to put it through it's paces with my Avalon U5 and Crown K1 and the cab will never leave your sight or your premises.

Thanks!

2. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I have a B-2. With bad drivers!

3. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    Hi Folmeister! And Thanks for the offer.

However, I'm afraid I'll have to pass because (1) you have "bad drivers" and (2) I don't want to damge your gear any more that it is already damaged and (3) I don't think I'll get what a good 410 is capable of from listening through a less than 100% 210.

You're a gem for offering, though, and I really appreciate it.

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    how about i play my B4 w/ my U5, here in NYC...

you should be able to feel it. ;)

but seriously, all acme cabs have a 2 week trial period. after about a week, it fully breaks in, and you'll be really hear what it does. dont like it? send it back, full money back, and you'll only be out with a few in shipping.

and if i'm not mistaken, andy also has a few "pre-broken in" cabs, depending on stock.

5. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    I've considered this as well. And in the end, if I can't find someone willing to allow me to try it out, I may go for that option.

What's this about a burn in/break in period? I've never heard that one before. Does that mean that it shouldn't be pushed to the limit or beyond say 50%?

And Joker, how many watts are you pushing yours with?

6. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    The surrounds of the tens are stiffer than most and as joker estimated, take about a week to loosen up. Don't do anything to over-excurse them before this break-in period; creased cones are not covered under warranty. Andy recommends 800 rms. I powered mine with an iAmp 800 and was always happy with the sound. The B-4 is a whole lot of speaker for what you're paying. The only reason I sold mine was an offer I couldn't refuse on a barely used Accugroove :D

7. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    800 RMS, and the Acme site says that they can hamdle 1000 easily. Anything less is a waste of time I"ve heard. My Crown K1 dishes out 1100 at 8 ohms and 1500 at 4 ohms, that should easily be enough to adequately rune either 1 8 ohm 410 or a pair of 8 ohm 410's in parallel. Why that? BEcause in due time. a PLX 2402 is on the horizon that will give 1 cab 1500 or two 1200. That should be enough. Or will that be too much??

8. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    Yeah, that's plenty. Too much? Depends on your style & how hard you drive. I'd suggest keeping some spare fuses & a phillips-head on hand in case you do apply too much power. Been there, done that, and didn't have 'em :meh:

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    well, IMHO, any speaker of any sort from guitar, bass, to hifi systems all need an easing into a break in period. all about slowly "seating" the speaker surrounds. its like a new car, i.e. staying under 50 mph for the first 100 mi.

and Acme isnt the only company to warn players. even with my new Accugroove 1x12, in the instruction booklet, its highly recommended to use the amp at low volumes, before opening it up.

but yea, 50% of full volume sounds good. for me, i just play thru the cab at a nice low, 'round the house volume. when i dont have time to play, i just run my ipod thru it at the same volume, too. Aphex Twin works for me. :)

FYI, in my B-1 pair, i've got my iAMP-800 driving at 2 ohms / 1000 watts. :eek: with my B-4, usually 1400 watts @ 4 ohms from my Peavey DPC1400x.