Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

want to upgrade my pick ups any ideas

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by VIHBASS, May 4, 2003.

1. i have an american jazz fender bass,and its going in the shop tues ,the neck has to be shimmed and i want to do the pick ups while its there ,i want to put the best available pick ups ,can someone please tell me what type to use i know absolutley nothing about pick ups
    peace
    frank

2. i was just reading that when pick ups are wired in series there is more power loss so with the push pull tone pot is there a great difernece in sound qaulity,thanks for the advice i wll defiantley bring any and all ideas to the guy whos gonna do the work for me
    peace
    frank
    http://www.telling-amplification.co.uk/pickups_1.html

3. from the advice you gave me so far this is the way i want to go with the push pull pots ,as far as what i said about loss of power.dont get the idea that im doubting you,because i have a lot of faith in you guys here at talkbass,what i will do is find out how much the shop will charge the shop owner is one of our band sponsors so we get a great discount there,what i need to know is where are these parts available and can you give me the best link for the best pick up for my needs ,

4. the bass is in the shop ,the tech seems to be familar with the push pull pot,i did email kellie and got a cool response,hopefully the the guy who works on my bass can ,locate some antiquity II's this week,i have been practicing on my frettless jazz,and i have to play a squire this week at our gigs so hopefully this bass will be done soon next is to upgrade my amp,i use a nemesis 2x10 combo now,its run into the house

5. i'm having a hard time getting the duncans antiquity II's,any other suggestions ,i have been really set on getting the duncans tho
    peace
    frank

6. smash i got my new pups there the antiquity IIs,the antiquitys are the ones that are wired reversed polarity,so i think i did good so far,now all i need is to wire them in,i will lket you know how the push pull pot works out why did you reverse them is there a reasson for doing that ,and will they still work like my regular j pups where i can pan back and forth if i wire them this way
    thanks
    frank

7. heres what i decideed to do im gonna wire the antiquity IIs stock first to see how they sound i will play the bass at gigs this weekend we have four gigs ,then i will do the mod and play it again the next week to see the difference
    one question do these pups have a bad 60 cycle hum
    peace
    frank

8. cool thats how i usually play my bass also i will soon find out anyways

9. smash thanks for helping me!!!!!
    i got my bass back, and the new pups sound great, first no 60 cycle hum,what a difference the tone is amazing,the first thing i noticed is that just turning the tone control,and the volume pots ,makes the bass have so many diferent sounds,the stock pick ups did not give me this many options,im gonna play it like this for awhile and then add the push pull pot ,the guy who did the work for me did not seem to know about the push pull pot wiring,so when i do this mod im gonna go buy a soldering gun and do it myself,its been a long time since i soldered anything,when i was 19 i was in this work release program,learning to be an electro mechanical assembler,i use to solder pc boards,i kinda forgot how to solder tho,from what i remeber,first to put put solder on the wire by applying heat to the wire kinda like priming the wire,and then hold it to the connector and apply heat is that right,its been a long time ,i will have to practice with something first,the best part was the guy who did the work only charged me 25 dollars and he set my bass up,and put new strings on that i supplied,so for 25 he did all the work ,i thought that was a deal,he sponsors our band
    peace
    frank

10. thanks smash,as soon as our new live cd comes out you will get the first free copy,i just came home from another gig and man my bass has a new life ,i cant believe the diference,im gonna try thr push pull pot next week ,this thing has sosme nice tone ,the bottom is unbelievable and the mids and highs are so much more there now,i love it
    peace
    frank