Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Want your advice on 2x10 combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CYoung, Jul 18, 2001.

1. CYoung

CYoung

Nov 30, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    Ok, here is my current rig:

Peavey Mark IV head
    Peavey 210 powered cab
    Peavey 115 BW/BX cabinet
    (Well, as you may have guessed it, I am a Peavey fan.)

I use the crossover on the Mark IV to drive the lows off its internal power amp and the 210 drives the highs. This gives me a big 420/600w stack.

Problems: too damn heavy, kills first five rows in small gigs, not a very 'clean' slap sound.

Idea: Sell the powered 210, keep the Mark IV as a back up amp, get a good quality 2x10 combo. Use combo for small gigs, drag out the 1x15 cab for big gigs.

Budget: About $1k, although may be able to do more if the quality is worth it.

Style: R&B, Jazz, some country gospel.

Basses: Peavey RSB (active p/us), Carvin LB20 fretless

Question: What 2x10 combos do you recommend for this role? Do you think this is a good idea? If not, what is your suggestion?

Thanks!

2. I think that for that type of sound, i would personally say that you should look into Eden Amps.

3. I agree with MFC, Eden has several options such as the Metro, the CXC series and the Nemesis line. I own a CXC-212C3 (2x12 300 watt model) that I use primarily at home but I bought it to have a backup rig or for smaller venues. So far I'm happy with it (plus I stole it from my local GC for $499 used but in mint shape). For $1k you should be able to find what you are after, there are a lot of high quality 2x10 combos out there. I'd also suggest the SWR Redhead as an option. Either way, bring your bass with you and try everything you can find. Don't be afraid of going used. Good deals are out there if you look!

Good Luck!

4. Hey, I think you could afford a little better 2x10 then the nemesis, but i highly reccomend checking it out anyways. Alot of people here(myself included) will definately vouch fo them....And if you did go with that, you would have a good 5-6 hundred left for other things...Also, maybe take a look at GK 2x10 combos...i know they have a few versions of it with more/less power...

Good luck, im sure $1k will get you pretty far in the combo amp world...

5. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    The Carvin RC210 easily fits into your price range. It plays at 600w which is pretty hefty. It has the regular tone control knobs, a EQ, a compressor and noise gate. Mine has a tube blend. A newer one will have a tube emulator. I find it to be very versatile and pretty loud with or without the 1x18 I have to go with it. for $770, it's definately a A+. Hope it helps. :)

6. KillMary

KillMary

Jan 25, 2001
    Funny, this weekend I saw two used Mesa Boogie Buster 2x10 combos in the Atlanta area. Two different models. I played one of them (an older model) right after I played a Heartke head, and it was so much sweeter, nicer, insipiring! It's an all-tube design, rated 200watts RMS.
    I think it sounds even sweeter than my SVT.
    Both Busters were around a grand I think.
    I saw that you live in Gainesville FL, that's why I suggested it. The stores were Atlanta Discount Music and Galaxy Music. The one I tested was at Galaxy Music.
    I hope this helps.

7. Go for the SWR redhead! I have a friend who uses one and can fill small acoustic/electric gigs all the way up to small sized clubs and it sounds soooo smooth! And when he plays bigger clubs he just attaches his 2x10 extension cab and it blows you away! For the money you can probably find a good one no prob and I know you wont be dissapointed. IMHO they sound like a MILLION bucks for smaller venues.

8. CYoung

CYoung

Nov 30, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    I have been shopping the web for a few amps and a few have stood out. The SWR Redhead is nice, but the eye-popping $1450 price tag may be a bit more than I can swing. So far, the Ampeg BA210SP and the Carvin 2x10 combo are standing ahead in the pack in terms of value. I guess I should do a search and see what folks think of these two models.

9. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    In my opinion I would stay away from the redhead dont get me wrong I have some swr stuff an love it and I love the sound of the redhead but I know 4 players and one guitar player ( jazz player ) that have had them and all have blown speakers in them. I found that out when I started asking around about them. Although im not a real fan of peavey stuff it has been getting better, they are coming out with a new 2-10 combo called the bam
    I have yet to hear one as they should be out right about now and it has some really kool features like amp modeling and its fairly high powered and the price will be around $1100 - $1200 bux, go to their site and check it out i think its under new products or something like that. Its worth a look since you are a peavey fan.

10. CYoung

CYoung

Nov 30, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    Hmm, a Peavey 2x10 with modelling. Very tempting. I know they use to make a 210 combo, but I have had no luck locating one used to try out. I will have to investigate this option.

I have often wondered, though, if my attachment to Peavey has prevented me from realizing a more refined sound. Perhaps the BAM210 can satisfy both my Peavey loyalty and give me a better sound....

What do you guys think of Genz Benz? They have a 2x10 combo for a decent price?

11. I went the combo route and found that it wasn't for me.

I have found that it is easier and more flexable for *me* to have a light weight (less then 20 lbs.) 500 watt+ head and a world class 2x10 or 1x15.
    I can carry my 2x10 and amp in each hand... bass in a gig bag and it's one trip.

Plus I can add or mix and match whatever cabinet that catches my fancy for bigger gigs or whatever.
    And and can just carry in my amp and use the tube DI out and plug into the board for recording or the PA for really big venues without any cabs.

To *me* combos are like a VCR built into a TV.
    Their married to each other and if you ever want a bigger TV... your stuck.

12. captainpabst

captainpabst

Mar 18, 2001
    Tennessee
    the carvin is a really good value - and you could bi-amp with it. i believe you can also pull the head out of the combo if you wanted to later on...(can you confirm this gabu?)

swr redhead/eden metro/mesa buster will probably take top tone awards. www.riksmusic.com will have a good price on swr...

it's worth trying out a GK 700rb/210 combo. i personally like GK stuff - it's really clean and tight.

the fender bassman 210 combo is in your price range also...

and yeah, i think the 210 combo would be a good idea the way you described it, with a potential 1x15 extension cab and a backup head. i share donnie's view on combos though...but you could skirt that issue with the carvin, i believe. oh well. good luck.

13. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    I am actually waiting to try out the peavey bam, I heard a couple of guys that went to the winter show and they said they sound really kool, also nemisis makes a really good sounding 2-12 combo that is also worth a real look and totally portable.

14. What Donne Demarest said. Look into a Peavey 210TVX - it's a great cab.

John

15. CYoung

CYoung

Nov 30, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    Thanks a million for your input guys.

That said, I see why two of you elected not to go the combo route. IT semms that many of the 2x10 combos are a bit anemic in the power department. Several combos listed power in the 200w range. PErsonally, I like to be in the 300+ range in case I need to compete with a loud drummer. For that reason, the three on top of my list are the Peavey BAM, Apmeg BA-210SP, and the Carvin 2x10. Now I need to go out and test drive some of these bad boys. Gainesville, FL is deficient in guitar stores, so I may have to drive to ORlando...

16. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    Happy hunting and post a review of your new amp when you get it.

17. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    If this is true, you won't want the Ampeg BA-210SP: it is 220 watts RMS.

18. CYoung

CYoung

Nov 30, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    Yup, bit it also produces 350w with an extension cab attached....

I will let you guys know what I get in the next few months and report here. I think I will wait and try the Peavey BAM before I decide.

19. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    The BA-210SP's power rating is 220 W @ 4 ohms to the dual internal 10" Eminence speakers. The BA-210SP does not have a jack for an extension speaker cabinet.

20. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Get the Bam definantly. I Like it by itself better than my Fire bass 4x10, and 1x15bxbw! And I decided to use it with my 15 (sold the 4x10s and firebass, cause this thing rocks their world), and it is the coolest sounding thing on earth! Those 2 10s sound like 100 10s, and it has some cool, modeling. Also the effects on it are pretty good. Just go play one song, and switch which head it is modeling each time, and you'll be amazed what a difference it makes. Also it is fully digital so you can switch anything you can imagine with a tap of a foot (comes with a nice pedal). You can switch what head cab, eq, and effects you are using in the middle of a song, just set a user preset to the way you want that part.