Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wanted: advice onTrace Elliot BLX-80 combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Moose, Aug 3, 2000.

1. Moose

Moose

Mar 8, 2000
    I've been offered a Trace Elliot BLX-80 combo 80w RMS into a 10" speaker. The head has the 7 band graphic similar to the GP7 but without the balanced output, but more interestingly the speaker is mounted behind a baffle with a vertical slot about 1 1/2" wide, something I have not seen before. Can anyone tell me if this is standard and if it is, how does it work? I must say it sounds very punchy especially for a 10".

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I dont know. I do know that the speaker is reinforced with Kevlar. If you are playing rooms small venues it will be fine. However try and find a BLX 130 if you can. I did not buy one because it did not have enough headroom for me (400 seater church)

3. MrGump

MrGump

Apr 20, 2000
    I am the proud owner of several BLX amps both 80 and 130 versions.I also own several BLX extension cabinets.I play mostly a(single Bartolini)Pedulla Rapture 5,through them.They all come with the double reflex configuration.The 130 is obviously more powerful,especially with an ext.cab.But the 80s seem to have a slightly crisper tone.Why?I have no idea.I love to watch other bass players faces when they hear all the bottom that comes out of this little thing!I play in bars that hold about 300 prople or maybe more,and I have yet to have a problem being heard.If I think Im going to have a problem I take my line out into the PA.The knock on the BLX amps is they sound "hollow".This is true but-ONLY WHEN YOUR RIGHT IN FRONT OF IT.Like you would be in a music store,trying one out.I am also the original owner of a 69 SVT.The only time Ive used it in years is when Ive wanted to.It hasnt been necessary.If you try one of these youll see what I mean about a hollow sound.But if you back away about 15 feet it sounds great.Or have someone else play and you go out to the audience.If you have any other questions please feel free to ask.How much is the asking price?Is it covered in vinyl or carpet?

4. Moose

Moose

Mar 8, 2000
    Thanks you both for the comments. I live in South Africa, so the issue of price is probably meaningless as costs in the USA are well below costs here. It is the vinyl covered unit (does that give any indication of when it was made) in very clean condition (probably never been gigged)and the asking price is about $350. By comparison the shop price of a new Trace Elliot 715 is about $850.

5. MrGump

MrGump

Apr 20, 2000
    Sorry I didnt get back to you sooner.The vinyl would date it as pre-Gibson,as they now own T/E.Ive payed any where from $110(my lucky day!)for a NOS,up to $230.Ive sold them for $300 to$375.So your price isnt bad at all.The serial number on the back(if its not rubbed off)will date it.What kind of tax duty would you have to pay?Is that included?What would you have to pay to have one shipped from NY?

[Edited by MrGump on 08-11-2000 at 01:36 PM]

6. Moose

Moose

Mar 8, 2000
    I've also been slow catching up on my mail, but thanks for the dating info. It's nice to hear that the price is not too far out from yours! The shipping costs unfortunately make it prohibitive, and would probably add $200-250 to the cost, which is why we generally expect to pay more for gear over here.