1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wanted: Amp heads with (semi-)parametric EQ

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jpc, Nov 5, 2013.

1. jpc

jpc

Nov 2, 2007
    Old World
    Hello,

by now I'm kind of fed up with my Ampeg heavyweights SVT and V4-B. Plus not getting the sound I wanted out of the latter recently in the sudio, I'm seriously considering getting a different amp.

This is what's on my wanted list:
    • lightweight (max. half of the V4-B)
    • (semi-)parametric EQ with at least two mid range bands
    • 400 (ss) watts or more into 4 ohm
    • tube preamp preferred
    • class d power amp preferred
    So far I have found these amps:
    • Eden WT550 and WT800
    • Carvin BX500 and BX1500
    What else is out there? There must be more. If there are no more heads out there, what combination of 19" rack units would come close to this (e.g. EQ, preamp, power amp)?

Thank you.

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Mesa Walkabout is only 300 watts @ 4 ohms, but sounds much bigger. Has 3 bands of semi-para eq, as well as 3 bands of active bass/treble and passive mids. Best tone from ANY amp, hybrid, tube, or otherwise.

3. hennessybass

hennessybass Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Check out Thunderfunk. They are now offering a tube option on the front end. You can also buy a 550 or 750 and have it upgraded to a tube front end. Only criteria it won't meet would be the Class D,, but it is still not that heavy or big.

4. This is the route I'd go. Or the M-Pulse 600. Slightly different, but the same animal.

5. hennessybass

Oct 11, 2008
    Houston, TX
    SWR Headlite...

4 pounds
    3-band semi-parametric EQ
    400 watts
    SWR tube preamp
    Class D power

6. spz8

spz8

Jan 19, 2009
    Glen Cove, NY
    Markbass F500: 2 sweepable MR bands, SS, 500 watts @ 4ohms.

Genz Benz ShuttleMAX 9.2: 2 sweepable MR bands X2, SS+tube channels, 900 watts @ 4ohms.

7. jpc

jpc

Nov 2, 2007
    Old World
    Thank you for your respones. As for your suggestions:
    • Mesa Walkabout: no 4 ohm speaker connector :meh:
    • M-Pulse 600: Wow! That would be ideal. But seems out of production or not available here in Europe. And very pricey :crying:
    • Thunderfunk: Nice cheap 80's layout, but probably very high taxes on top of already high price when importing to Europe :meh:
    • SWR headlite: Interesting. Have to check this one out, even though it's very ugly :D
    • Markbass F500: no tube preamp.
    • Genz Benz 9.2: really don't need two channels.
    Keep it coming!

8. The Walkabout has two 8 Ohms outputs, which is one 4 Ohm... some people run it even with a 4 and a 8 Ohm cab (i.e. 2.66 Ohm) with great results.
    Really great head.

9. I have the Carvin BX1500. It is my #2 amp but it is a very good light amplifier. It's priced at under $500.

10. I was trying to resolve the same issue a short while ago and ended up with a SVP-Pro preamp and Carvin DCM2004LX poweramp. The only downside is that the parametric EQ is really clumsy. It's in the poweramp and the best way to change the settings is to use their software.

Other than that I'm very happy with this combination. Sounds like an Ampeg, very lightweight and tons of power. Gives you 4x500W into 4ohm, so you can drive up to 4 cabinets.

Personally I wouldn't recommend M-Pulse 600. Good sound, but still heavy as hell and not very loud (unless you want lots of tube grind and crank the gain up). I'm trying to get rid of mine :)

11. hennessybass

Oct 11, 2008
    Houston, TX
    The T-Funk is pricy, and does have an 80s lay out. It is based on an amp from the 80s called the AMP BH420. You will notice that the Eaden WT heads that you mentioned have a very similar layout:eek:... but with better colors. The AMP started a family tree that includes SWR, Eaden, Gibson amps, and Thunderfunk.

I've never played the SWR. I'm not a fan of the look either. There is also an Amplite to go along with the Headlite where you can double the power with an extra amp - both units take up 1 rack space. Not sure what kind of tone you are going for, but you might try to check the SWR out before hand as I think it has a pretty strong baked in flavor.

12. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

I have a MarkBass SD800 (800W @ 4ohms) that has two semi-para mid controls. It's a decent lightweight SS amp. I bought it on closeout, it's no longer in production.

13. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    The Walkabout will run at 4ohms just fine. Many guys here consistently run them at 2.7 ohms and 2 ohms as well.

If the Walkabout is available in EU, I'd assume all Mesa amps would be. Maybe I'm wrong?

GB Shuttles are 1 channel
    GB ShuttleMAX are 2 channels

14. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Another Mesa Walkabout vote. If you need more power, I'd prefer a Walkabout feeding a power amp to any other head, as long as size/portability isn't a big issue.

15. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    +1

You simply can not go wrong with that head. I have driven 8-10 cabs with it and just about hurt myself with volume.

Quit worrying about numbers (watts). They mean virtually nothing. Your SCVT is 300W and your V4B is 100W. Has volume ever been a problem?

16. xk49w

xk49w

Apr 13, 2008
    Lots of love around here for the Jule Monique preamp. It comes in several versions, rack style and others, both with and without an 800W Demeter amp. Best look at the web site to see all the flavors.

17. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I replaced my SVT-CL with a MarkBass SD800 and have yet to regret the decision for a second (other than losing a pile of money on the SVT). I went through a phase of renting amps, and even have bought a power amp so I can try out some pre-amps, I have yet to find anything I like enough to replace the MarkBass. But that is all my personal taste

18. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    The Monique seems awesome, but the OP is specifically looking for something with at least two bands of semi-para mids, which the Monique doesn't have.

Liam

19. Carvin B2000.

20. Keep your eyes peeled on the used market. 240V versions are rare but they do pop up. Used prices are getting lower now everybody's moving to light weight amps.