Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

wanted:avatar neo 410/210 reviews..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Magman, Oct 15, 2004.

1. someone must have one! we all want to hear about them.

Specifically, how much low end do they create? general impressions?

I just did a gig with a B210 and a rented old 115. The 115 filled out the bottom but I was basically unimpressed - didn;t create much more perceived 'loudness' volume, sounds a bit crap by itself and weighed a ton: this has been my general (limited) experience with 15;s over the years. For various chaotic reasons my rig ended up being the PA also. Yes it worked: but the act would be as 'experimental electronic' probably and not your normal 'band'.

So I'm thinking an avatar neo410 or 212 - I'm after loud and deeper than the b210. Tens do seem to be the thing for getting the music aross loud and clear. I'm not into ruining my hearing or being stupid loud: but now I'm doing shows everyso often, having a decent full range rig seems to be a lifesaver rather than relying on no PA, crap PA, wimpy combo amp etc.

When I've got the time I'd like to build one of Bills Tuba 24's as an experiment, but thats a few weeks/months off.

MM

2. I got my Neo 2x10 and I've played it for under an hour by myself. Here's my observations.

The tweeter needs to be about 1/4 on to get clarity.

It handles my low E more than awesome.

My Peavey Mark VIII and OLP MM2 sound pretty plain and clean. Not sure if that's a somewhat lack of coloration or it's just a plain sounds. Messing with EQ amends this kinda sorta.

It's LIGHT! Definitely lighter than you'd think.

I think you can't go wrong with it. Sorry I can't give you any real useful info. There's a review at harmony-central on a Neo 2x10.

3. morebass!

morebass! I'm listening

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    Thanks for the review. Any others? I'm thinking about getting one. Thanks

4. MMStingRay

MMStingRay

Aug 17, 2004
    Michigan
    supported by Hipshot, Diamond strings and Clayton picks
    I got an Avatar 410 neo.

Sorry to say I have had little time to play with it but I can say this.

The Avatar 410 neo's light. Not in a bad way, it's easy to move around. (a plus). but enough lbs to remind you it's a bass cabinet.

I've run it with a SWR4004 head and it sounded really good at the house. It had a sound that's hard to explain, kind of a bark
    or a really nice dirty sound. (I liked it!)

I played it at practice with the band, using a Carvin B200 for power (i hate the B200 combo) But it sounded pretty good with the Avatar 410 neo under it.

The horn is vary strong, I need to back it off to 1/2 or even 1/4 level. But that's personal taste.

All in all, it's seems like a good built cabinet and I like the sound. I'll know more when I get to gig with it but I can tell you with only a couple hours on it I'd say Avatar looks and sound good. For the money you can't go wrong. I'd get an Avatar cabinet before a Carvin any day of the week!

I'm thinking of getting a QSC1450 power amp and putting the Avatar to the test.. Then we'll really know!