Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wanted EA iamp, CxL and NL-210 Users

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by Mike Dimin, Mar 13, 2004.

1. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    As many of you know I endorse EA products. I also do quite a bit of writing for them. As we develop new ideas, new designs, new marketing, etc - we have always listened to EA players. We wanted to put EA related stories on our web site. If you have an EA story, please feel free to post it here or email me at mike@euphonicaudio.com. We will put some of them on our web site and some in our April Newsletter. Thanks

Mike Dimin

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    *Subscribe*

I'll post a couple of stories when things calm down a bit. Would love to hear others!

3. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Cool, can't wait read the stories

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Once I get a spare couple of hours, I'll rehash some old ones, and maybe hash some new ones!

Tom.

5. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    I guess I'll have to start.

I used to endorse another high end bass cabinet company. For years, the designer of that company told me that putting a transmission line in a bass cabinet the size of a 112 was impossible. I loved that cabinet and my respect for the gentleman who owned the company led me to believe him - I had no reason not to. So here I am beleiving what others are telling me, partially because I want to believe that I own the best and partially because I beleive someone, who, in the end, does not really understand TL.

On the advice on Joe Zon, I called EA. Larry said, play our stuff and then talk to me. I went to Mike Tobias' shop, with my Walter Woods, my bass and my boutique cabinet. After A/B'ing the 2 cabinets through both the Walter and Mike's heads, I came to a startling conclusion.. EA can build TL cabinets for Bass. I found a cabinet (Cxl112) that had all the positive attributes of the boutique cabinet that I was currently playing with a bigger, more focused low end. They shared the crystal clear highs and mids. The EA was just so clean and so even throughout the range of the bass that it was startling. The ONLY cabinet that I have found that I like better than the Cxl-112 is the NL-210.

Please join in

Mike

6. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    Last year my band recorded our demo at a local studio. This studio had lots of bass gear there, SVTs, Eden, SWR, Mesa Boogie. I brought my EA VL210B.

The engineer saw a “little” 210 cab and just kinda smirked, “Is that it?”
    Everything he had was 810, 215 or 410.

Before we started I told the engineer that I want to try some different gear, you just to see if I liked the sound. He said sure.

Meanwhile he started setting up the mics for the horn section. I started setting up my rig.

After I got tuned and warmed up I fired up the amp. As soon as he heard my bass through that little 210 cab he stopped what he was doing, came over to my cab and just stared at it. I stopped playing thinking that something was wrong. He told me to keep playing, then asked me to stop. He looked at me and asked if all that bottom was coming out of that little cab.

He told me not to bother trying any of the stuff he had there.

He said he’d never heard such a fat yet clean, detailed, open and articulate tone before.

I told him he should hear it when I add my second VL210B

7. FunkySpoo

Feb 6, 2002
    Mike, any luck with getting Chuck Levins Washington Music Center to start carrying EA gear?

8. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    As a double bassist, I was always searching for a clean, transparent, uncolored sound - the mythical "The sound of my bass, only louder". I'd been through a lot of gear and never really come close. Then I discovered EA cabinets, starting with a CXL-112, and realized there was another level of amplification gear, one which did exactly what I wanted. My current standard rig, the iamp-800 paired with a VL 208 with an added VL 108 on top of the rack as an "intonation monitor", has that combination of "oomph" and clarity I've been looking for all along. When I played it at the faculty concerts of the Aebersold camps last summer in a room notorious for bad bass sound, it cut through like a knife without being at all harsh or brittle...so much so that people were coming up to me all week and asking, "what the hell was that amp you were using the other night? - that's the most natural bass sound I've ever heard at that volume". Now if I could only get my hands on a second 208!

9. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    I always tell them that "it's in my hands" :p

Mike

10. Chris Fitzgerald

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Yeah, me too. You can get away with that if you had great tone...but try to apply the same line to that kind of volume with good tone, and I don't think anybody would be buying - that would be the loudest acoustic sound in history, and I bet they'd expect me to weigh more than 185 lbs. to pull that off. :D

11. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    I'd still love to hear more ...

BTW, as an example of what we are doing at EA. We have a quote from Tom Bowlus on the cover of the nw manual for the iAMP 800 and one from Basss on the cover of the iamp500 manual. Pretty cool - if you ask me

Mike

12. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Well, in that case, then let me throw out some more quotables! Just kidding. Really, I am honored that you want to use a quote of mine on the iAMP 800 cover. :)

My EA experience began with gear lust from the first time that I saw one of their ads for a VL-208. Being just a poor college schmuck at the time, I couldn't even dream about affording such gear, but as time has passed, new gear has become used (;) ) and debt has been replaced by income, I have been able to acquire some of the gear that I longed for. And oh, what a ride it's been!

My first purchase was a VL-210B off ebay. I immediately did an in home shootout against my then current rig, which consisted of a Mesa Boogie Diesel 4x10 (the best 4x10 I could find, at the time) and an Eden 212XLT (still my favorite Eden cab). At quieter volumes, the single VL-210 compared quite favorably to the Boogie/Eden combo, being in the same general tonal range, and with both rigs being fairly articulate. As I turned things up, I expected that the "little" 2x10 would be left in the dust by four 10's and two 12's. Well, imagine my surprise when it was the VL-210 that stood up and screamed "more, more!", while the Boogie/Eden duo made their power handling limits known. Being oh, so intrigued by the VL-208, I picked one up used shortly thereafter. My plan had initially been to get either two VL-208's or two VL-210's. Well, after hearing them both, I decided that two of each would be quite nice! So, I lined up one more of each (with Gard helping me out on a refurbished VL-210B - thanks, Gard!), but then lo and behold, I find an absolute steal on a third VL-208. Knowing them to be in fairly high demand, my thought was to buy it and then resell it for a profit. Of course, after having it in my hands, I had to try three VL-208's together, right? Talk about a radical development! While two is certainly much better than one as far as low end goes, three is much more than 50% better than two. More like 150% better. There is not much that three VL-208's can't handle, and I am talking loud work on a low B, all the way up through walkin' the doghouse. They do it all, and sound great doing it.

Geeze, then came a deal on a CX-310, followed by a Wizzy, and then a VL-110. The iAMP 800 was the last EA purchase. And of course, I had to get the EA covers for everything. Those are classy as all getout! One of the reasons that I have so many cabs is that I can't pass up what I think is a good deal, and I can't let good gear go. However, another reason is that it gives me the flexibility to bring just what is needed to a gig. Sure, by their very nature, EA cabs are "do it all" products. However, there are some situations (when I know that I am going to have to get very loud) that two VL-210B's are the best rig on the planet (I have not heard any other speaker cab that keeps sounding better the more ridiculously loud you push it). Other jobs (when I am going to playing at more moderate levels) call for VL-208's. And then there is the opportunity to get "over the top." ;) :D At one point (before the Wizzy and the VL-110), I had a large outdoor gig coming up, and someone had made a comment about which cabs I was going to bring, to which I replied, "All of them!" Initially joking (I am known for bringing way too much gear), I thought about it and decided that it'd be a hoot, and a good photo op. Therefore, I present to you the "EA Museum":

[​IMG]

Okay, I am out of time for now, but I will report back on Wizzy and iAMP 800 stories later! Oh yes, and wait until we get going on the quality of service from EA!

Later, Tom.

13. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    I have an 800 and a CxL 12. Is the 350 combo marginal or or good or great with a 5 string at low volumes. Do I need one? Do the Hilton sisters need money?

14. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    I am concerned that since this thread is over in ask Mike the general population is missing out on the clear distinguished discussion and the opportunity to know about this great gear. No offense to Mike I appreciate your work expertise and the gear is beyond amazing!

15. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I just realized that Mike is asking about stories relating to current EA offerings, so there I go and post a shot of all used VL-series cabs! Duh! I'm sure that was quite helpful, eh, Mike? At any rate, as a follow-up to that massive rig, I have to say that while it was initially set up as quite the tongue in cheek experiment, the sound was nothing short of jaw-dropping. I was barely in the mains at all, and this was a large, open outdoor space, with a very beefy PA. He tried putting me in the mains, but it muddied up the sound, so we just let my rig rip (love that PLX 3002!). :bassist:

On the current products side of things, at this point in time, all that I own are the Wizzy WZ-112E and the iAMP 800. Both offer more than what initially meets the eye. When you look at the Wizzy, it looks so simple, that you figure that it's going to be a one-trick pony, tone-wise. Then you pick it up, and it is so light, you figure that it's not going to be very strong and tight in the lows. Then you fire it up and begin scratching your head as to how they mananged to get all that tone and articulation out of such a simple little box. Even without a tweeter, it still manages to reproduce musical, tactile highs (though not the sparkly high stuff), and on the low end, it is deep and extended, with plenty of control. But it is the midrange that really gets me going. Somehow, EA made a cab that is both warm and very articulate. I had thought these two qualities to be mutually exclusive (to a degree), but once again, EA proves my perceptions wrong. I did a little shootout with the Wizzy compared to a VL-208, a VL-110, and then both the VL-208/VL-110 (this is discussed in more detail in another thread). To my surprise, the Wizzy was more balanced and articulate than either of the smaller VL cabs individually, though the VL-208/VL-110 combo did best the Wizzy (narrowly) in both regards. I consider this very high praise, as both the VL-208 and VL-110 are some of the best bass cabs in history, IMHO.

I have posted a good bit recently on the iAMP 800, so I can't add to much to that, really. I do look forward to all of the rest of your stories, though.

Tom.

16. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Fis=rst of all, thanks for everyone's response. I love reading them. I posted it here as I did not want to be accused of Spamming the list, etc. Talkbass can be a dangerous place for anyone with an opinion

Mike

17. I recently 'upgraded' from an iAMP200 Combo to the aforementioned head/combo. The Combo was a great amp (amazing actually) but suffered from a supplier problem and had to go back to Club Bass in Toronto for repair. I was given the option of upgrading at the time and I took it.

The iAMP500/CXL-112 package is well worth the additional dollars! I think it is slightly 'clearer' than the Combo and is certainly louder. The tuner on the Combo was useful but only miss it a bit. The LEDs on the Input section were also useful but your ears will quickly tell you when you have too much Input Gain. Less stuff to go wrong down the road!

I'm still experimenting with the EQ section. I followed Mike's advice (finally) and dialed in a tone that works for me and then played with the presets. Doing it the other way around is the hard way.

I have giged with the amp twice, both medium sized rooms with a four piece band. No DI to the board required like with the Combo. The amp sounded great on stage but even better out on the dance floor/seats (I used a long cable to check it out myself). No boominess, just real tight bass. I can't imagine playing a venue where I would need more stage volume than this set-up can produce. The padded bag is recommended. No problems carrying the head and cab in one trip to the car.

Dave at Club Bass states the iAMP500 head is the ultimate tool for the urban bassist. I agree with him.

18. I know Mike saw this in the original thread, but I'm posting this link here for the benefit of those who didn't get the story. WOW!

Bob's excellent EA adventure

19. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Thanks for all the ideas - I am about to start the April newsletter, hopefully I can put some of this in there. BTW, I am selling an iAMP800 if anyone is interested- let me know

Mike

20. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Okay, here is a mix of the old and the new. One of the reasons that I prefer amps that can handle a 2 ohm load is that it allows me to put together combinations of multiple, smaller cabs, which are not only easier to move and fit into vehicles, but also can cover more of the stage. This combination of the iAMP 800 with three VL-208's and a VL-110 gives "big rig" sound in a not too obnoxiously sized package. Until I get the CxL-112/NL-210 package, this is my best sounding combination of EA cabs with the iAMP 800. Just the three VL-208's stacked on top of each other is very good also, though I worry about it tipping over. Just the VL-208/VL-110 makes for a very nice mini rig, too.

[​IMG]

Tom.