Wanted: Neils Pedersen's solo in "Billie's Bounce"

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Steph Dawe, Jun 16, 2005.

1. I'm learning Billie's Bounce for Solo assessment this semester, and I'm looking for a recording of Neils Pedersen's bass solo so I can hear what I'm supposed to be playing. If anyone can tell me anything specific [i.e. what version did he play on?], that would be wicked. I need all the help I can get. :(
  2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Uhhh, if you're doing a solo assessment, won't they want to hear your solo, not somebody else's? BILLIE'S BOUNCE is a blues, so it sounds like they want you to improvise over blues form.

Not "not improvise" by playing somebody else's solo note for note....
  3. MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    Count Bassie at Montreux 1975
    You can get it from amazon.
  4. Thankyou.

You'd think so, but no.
  5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think the point is that - as part of the educational process and to get to be a better musician - it's very good to do your own transcriptions.

So - if you buy this CD, listen to it, trancribe the bass solo - learn what he was doing and why - that can be a very useful exercise.

BUT - I think what Ed is saying, is that simply to regurgitate that solo on the bandstand without any understanding is not what Jazz is about.

So, the idea is to develop your own style of soloing, OK maybe to get started you might make use of a few "licks" - although that is a controversial subject and anathema to many - just playing somebody else's solo "parrot fashion" is a bit dubious ...

But then there seem to be many approaches to studying Jazz which I've mentioned, that are opposed vociferously by people around here.

I've noticed that there are distinct "camps" in Jazz education who disagree with each other violently and it can make it very confusing for those who are new to Jazz...:meh:
  6. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    From limited "Jazz" experience-
    I made the mistake of a Sunday afternoon 'jam' at the house of a certain 'known-in-this-area' Jazz drummer. I knew I was in trouble when I was told to "...bring your Real Book".
    Of course, I fumbled throughout the afternoon.

What I noticed-
    The soloists? Not one them was sweating. Sorry, to me, that's a tell. ;)
    That leads me to believe that they were rehashing the SOS they had played a go-zillion times before. What was played sounded like Jazz...but was it?

Sorry, the best part of this 'jam' was a totally impromtu David Holland-esque groove played by yours truly. I'll go to my deathbed believing that.