1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wanted to try flats and this happened (pic in thread), what to do?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by dBChad, Aug 17, 2019.

1. dBChad

dBChad

Aug 17, 2018
    Daytona Beach, FL
    too short.

This is a Peavey Millennium AC 5. 34" scale with strings through the body.

I bought it as a project with the intentions of setting it up for flat wounds. I chose Dunlops as they were reasonably priced and I didn't want to throw a whole lot of money into something experimental at first, but these are too short to use.

I'm sure packaging and specs probably have a usable length listed somewhere on the packaging, but I've never had this problem with round wounds, so I probably overlooked it. How do I ensure the next set of flats I buy will be long enough for a string-through-body bridge?

Thanks!

(kitten not for sale, I got attached even though he makes it really hard to string an instrument).

fhm555, Huw Phillips and Pbassmanca like this.
  2. Take those off immediately & buy a set for Long-Scale.
    Most manufacturers will have the "winding length" right on their site.
    If Dunlop doesn't, don't buy.

3. dBChad

dBChad

Aug 17, 2018
    Daytona Beach, FL
    I'm looking at DR Legends on their website. They list a scale length of 37 3/4", do you think those would be long enough?

4. time to get out your tape-measure

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Weird. I just installed a set of Dunlop flats thru body in my 09 Precision, and the silks cleared the nut with a little over half an inch to spare. I would contact Dunlop about it. Unfortunately, they don't make an extra long scale flat, so as awesome as their flats are, you may have to go with something else unless you can top load and the silks clear the nut. BTW, you sure you got a long scale set? I wouldn't think you'd have that problem with a Millenium, either.

6. DrMole

DrMole Supporting Member

This is great info as a few sets of different flats will be included in my next gear order.

Cats, and kittens in particular are not your friend when restringing any instrument.
    Always changed mandolin strings behind a closed bathroom door.

Keep us updated. Hopefully it gets sorted without too much $ outlay

7. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Looks like you got short scale flats, but I don't think Dunlop makes short scale flats. Weird.

Did you order from Fretnation.com? He will make sure you get the correct length (and give you the best price!)

Buzz E, smogg, chupacerveza and 2 others like this.
  8. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    The website shows short, medium, and long scale. If the package doesn't say the scale, they are long.
    Bass - Strings - Products

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    chupacerveza and HaphAsSard like this.
  9. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    Yeah, Dunlop makes Short and Medium scale Flatwound sets also... So definitely, OP wasn't getting the Long Scale set.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Problem solved then. You bought short or medium scale flats.

smogg and dalkowski like this.
  11. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    No matters brand, just buy long scale and check the scale on net.

12. Pedullist

Pedullist

Oct 31, 2016
    And buy a short scale bass for these strings ;-)

13. Kaplan

Kaplan

Jul 25, 2018
    Germany
    Cool, tapered flats! :D

LowActionHero and wmhill like this.
  14. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Since those are going to need to come off anyway, before you remove them mark one of the silks about a quarter inch above the nut. When you get them off, measure the distance from the mark you made to the ball end of the string. That’s the winding length you actually need to string through.

I run into that occasionally. There really isn’t any official standard string manufacturers have to follow. I’d guess most use Fender’s dimensions as their basis for measurement. Sometimes you’ll find that with certain strings (I most recently ran into it with a set of DR Pure Blues) the long set isn’t going to be long enough either. So you might need extra longs if you want to use those.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  15. TDPRI Bones

TDPRI Bones

Jul 25, 2019
    Why is your string dampener between the nut and strings? That has to cause intonation problems?

16. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    Yeah, those are mediums. @dBChad, if you measure them after taking them off please report back: knowing the winding length of Dunlop medium scale strings will be useful info for forum users.

Now, I doubt it's your case, but some new/careless players might need clarification at this point:
    1-standard, Fender scale (34") = "long scale"
    2-also standard (been in use since forever alongside the long) but smaller (around 30", sometimes a smidgen less, sometimes as long as 30.5") = "short scale" (occasionally "3/4-size"/"-scale")*
    3-right in the middle (32"), more recently introduced, rarer: "medium scale" (at times "7/8")*
    ^ [In other words: "medium scale" ≠ "standard scale"!]
    4-longer than standard long (35" or 36" usually) = "extra-long scale" or "super-long"
    5-shorter than standard short = eh, no conventional shorthand for this; if it's 28.5" I've seen it referred to as "1/2 size"/"-scale";* 26"~24" is unsurprisingly "guitar scale"; any smaller is ukulele bass territory; generally speaking, anything significantly shorter than 30 inches is sometimes called "sub-short" on TalkBass.

What else? Yeah: Rickenbacker long scale is 33.25"; 33" is a popular choice for boutique builds; and of course one can find literally any idiosyncratic, in-between scale out there.

* (fractional designations, typically in student-sized bowed instruments and classical guitars, refer to body volume, with scale also reduced in proportion.)

chupacerveza and dBChad like this.
  17. dBChad

dBChad

Aug 17, 2018
    Daytona Beach, FL
    On my round strung basses, I tried several configurations of hair tie and found this to work best for my style of playing. It hasn't caused any intonation problems so far, but requires being a little more aggressive when playing open string notes. Works great at damping harmonic ring out though.

18. One thing you need to determine is whether the strings you want are compatible with through body mounting. Some flats are not. There is a thread on this subject on this forum. Check it out. Good luck. :D

FRoss6788 and chupacerveza like this.
  19. Ross W. Lovell

Ross W. Lovell

Oct 31, 2015

20. dBChad

dBChad

Aug 17, 2018
    Daytona Beach, FL
    I checked the package: these were a medium set. I thought that was in reference to string gauge, not scale length. Live and learn.