Wanted: Upright Bass Luthier in Knoxville, Tn

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by theaterbass29, Feb 13, 2004.

1. theaterbass29

Nov 14, 2003
    Nashville, Tennesse
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Sadowsky, D.Markley, Spector
    Anyone in Ktown Tennessee area, or other for that matter, know of a qualified or experienced double bass luthier? I cant seem to find anyone to fit the bill, but I have some issues with my upright and I need somebody good! Thanks.
  2. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    You are more likely to get a good answer on the DB forum. There are some luthiers there that may be able to help you.

Harrell S.
  3. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Agreed, and moved.
  4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I grew up in Knoxville and lived there until I graduated from UT.

I don't know of an individual, but I would call Ciderville Music. They are on Clinton Highway just out of Powell going toward Clinton. I don't know if they do the work, but they are the place for the bluegrassers, so I'd guess they could point you in a good direction.

You could also call the KSO. I suspect they have cause to use such services. :)
  5. i would not recomend ciderville. look up steve benne, principle of the KSO or rusty holloway , bass prof. at UT. ask them when the next time that harry reaves will be in town. he is a traveling man that based out of arkansas in his retirement. does a very good job and has the best reputaion...
  6. I highly recommend David Harvey in Nashville--may be a 3.5 hour drive but it is worth it. He was with Fred Carpenter at The Violin Shop but has recently gone to work with Gibson--I think at the Gibson Showcase. Contact them and they should be able to connect you with Dave.

7. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    In Knoxville:
    Bruce Wilhite, Wilhite Strings 865.670.1888.
    Jim Ferguson 615.297.7453
    Dustin Art Williams 615.872.9586

Good luck :)
  8. I'm going to bump Jeff's very old thread to ask for a current recommendation on DB-qualified luthiers in the Knoxville (not Nashville) area.

I have a cheap fretless electric bass that needs to have some planing work and I'd rather go to a DB luthier for this type of work instead of Guitar Center, or someplace like that. I want someone who knows what they're doing but won't end up charging me more than the bass is worth. It should be a fairly quick job since it's not a big ebony board.

I do know that Wilhite Strings is still in business, but they said Bruce isn't doing the shop work anymore, they have someone doing it for them. I've also left a message with The String Workshop in Oak Ridge, since they are only open Tues-Thurs these days.

Any other recommendations?