Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wanted: Zvex Super Hard On / Fulltone Fat-Boost Info

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by slacker, Apr 6, 2002.

1. slacker

slacker

Nov 27, 2001
    Portland Oregon
    Anyone using either of these padals to drive a tube amp into overdrive? Trying to dirty up my sound a little. Looking for any info, as I am finding wildly mixed reviews of both.

2. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

They are both clean boosts, they won't dirty-up your signal by themselves. Are you planning to use these to overdrive the front end of your amp?

3. slacker

slacker

Nov 27, 2001
    Portland Oregon
    Um, yes. The amp I have will get a little dirt-stortion goin' with any bass that has a *decent* output. Problem is, my favorite bass has really low output. So, to match the volume of my other bass and drive the preamp a little, I decided I need a boost.

4. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

In that case I would also consider a Dredge-Tone Angler. This is an overdrive pedal that I recently purchased that I really like a lot. It has a line driver that is on even when the effect is off. You could use it as a simple boost for mild overdrive and kick in the overdrive when you wan to add some real grit. www.dredge-tone.com. Great buy at $115.00

5. These can both "drive a tube preamp into OD" and will add a subtle "fattening" quality to your overall tone. You may want the versatility of an actual "OD" pedal so you can add a clean boost AS WELL as "grit" I'd say they'd both be worth checking out regardless...folks like 'em? Other bass players use 'em...Go read the Harmony Central reviews.

6. slacker

slacker

Nov 27, 2001
    Portland Oregon
    The Dredge-tone pedal is on my "short list" for bass distortion pedals. I was not aware of the line driver function. If it will also behave as a clean boost, I may have to try one.

7. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

I think that if you turn down the "dredge" and turn up the volume, you will get a clean boost. I will try this tomorrow night at rehearsal. I will let you know.

8. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
  9. Damn...I've always wanted one of those; I just forgot! Can you compare it's tone to something we'd recognize? More OD than fuzz.....?? More Fulltone than Big Muff? That sort of thing. What is that "dynamics" knob?

[​IMG]

10. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    it's more of an overdrive than a fuzz and more like the fulltone than the rat or big muff, although, you can get serious distortion out of this thing. i would say that the fulltone sounds a tad smoother than the deep fryer, and maybe a little more touch sensitive, but the fulltone had this midrange emphasis that i wasn't too keen on. in terms of build quality, it's on par with the fulltone. i especially like the fact that it's got a bass knob, albeit an internal one, that allows you to add or subtract the amount of bass in your signal. the "dynamics" knob seems to add sustain and a bit of compression. my only gripe is that there aren't two dynamics knobs, one for each channel. all in all, it's a really cool pedal.

11. Nifty! Would you say it was very "deep" sounding? If I turned it up quite high and played very gently would i get much of a synth-dub tone from it?

12. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    hmm....i'm not sure i understand what you mean. turn what up - the volume, bass, dymanics? i'm also not sure what a synth dub bass sounds like, so i can't really help you. sorry. :) it does have a nice deep tone though, no bass loss at all. i'm not sure what would happen if i cranked the bass knob all the way up but i'm sure it won't affect the tone as much as, say the bass knob on your amp or bass would.

steve

13. Classic dub trick: Turn your gain (or volume, whatever..) up very high, pluck strings ever so lightly. You will end up with a wide subharmonic bloom this way. Deep Fryer sounds very cool...