1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

wanting a good acoustic bass guitar

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mickeyj4j, May 5, 2015.

1. acoustic (not upright)

5 vote(s)
    10.6%
  2. electric

27 vote(s)
    57.4%
  3. I prefer upright

7 vote(s)
    14.9%
  4. ubass all the way

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  5. all the above. it's bass after all

12 vote(s)
    25.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. mickeyj4j

mickeyj4j

Dec 5, 2006
    Hi all currently I have a 4 string electric bass. I was wanting to get an acoustic bass guitar. On a limited budget what would you recommend?

Also as this will be my 2nd bass wondering if there are any good cheep 5 string acoustic bass.

though I would like to get a ubass how would that compare to a Acoustic bass guitar.

2. Boom762

Boom762 I AM the one who Booms! Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2013
    Lubbock, TX
    I've played a lot of acoustic basses and owned 2 personally. The best bang for your buck, comfort, tone, and features is an Oscar Schmidt OB100 by Washburn.

[​IMG]
    Comes with a bag, has a super fast/small neck, sounds louder and clearer than basses twice it's size, is a REAL bridge without pegs so it's way easier to restring, and looks nice. The body is nearly the thickness of an electric too so it feels light and doesnt get in the way.

The other one I've owned is the WORST acoustic bass Ive eber played. The Dean EAB.
    It's bulky, tone sucks, the electronics are cheaply produced and failed very quickly, came with nothing but a wink and a prayer it didnt fall apart on the way to the car.

Just look at how thick this Dean is.... LOOK AT IT!... I'm 6'3 and have long arms. I could barely get my arms around the body to play.
    130286175943-3.

3. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
  4. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Portland
    Upright is just difficult to play, takes real left hand strength. Nothing else sounds like them.

Dean is just cheap stuff.

I Need a six... and Boom762 like this.
  5. Boom762

Oct 19, 2013
    Lubbock, TX
    The EAB burned me on all Dean products after that. I can't take them seriously now.

I used to want a Dimebag Razerback but.... nope... Cooler guitars out there.

6. lancimouspitt

lancimouspitt

Dec 10, 2008
    dayton Ohio
    I remember the Michael Kelley dragonfly fretless was pretty cool.vmaybe a bodong or whatever those cardboard stand-ups are called?

7. mickeyj4j

mickeyj4j

Dec 5, 2006
    Nothing wrong with the thickness. Most acoustic basses I played at local stores are the same. They are like an acoustic guitar and just s easy to play.

jd56hawk likes this.
  8. mickeyj4j

mickeyj4j

Dec 5, 2006
    Boom762 likes this.
  9. Boom762

Oct 19, 2013
    Lubbock, TX
    If you can get something more comfortable to play, might as well. The EAB was pretty much a finger style only. I couldnt get my arm around enough to pick comfortably. The only acoustic bass that comes close to the Oscar Schmidt is the new Fender, but it's still not as comfortable.

10. BazzTard

BazzTard Banned

If you intend to use it live, with other musicians, forget it. You won't be heard, unless you amp up,and then why bother with acoustic. They can be uncomfortable to play and don't push out enough volume to be heard with two acoustic guitars.

If you want it to record with then yes get one as the warmth you get from them are not replicated with an electric. If you want it to noodle on in front of the telly, yes get it.

11. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    Did you by chance look at the links?

12. 1954bassman

1954bassman

Jun 7, 2004
    Hickory, NC
    Apparently not.

13. OP: He means the TV, not a telecaster :roflmao:

BazzTard and Orangeclawhammr like this.
  14. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    The U bass is an entirely different instrument than an ABG. ABGs have lots of issues (feedback, lack of volume unplugged). Unless you have a specific need for one, you are better off getting a regular 5er IMO.

15. rolandm

rolandm In search of the lowest note.

Aug 8, 2010
    Peoria, IL
    If you get one, my recommendations are to check out the Ibanez offerings. There's some very good basses there. In the midranges they are as loud as a pizz-played cello if you have an OPort installed, but when you start getting into the lower frequencies, they don't produce as much volume as the cello.
    I'd say, find an old cello, string it with tapewounds, and call it good. That's what I did.
    But at the same time, I also own two ABGs, both Ibanez.

alaskaleftybass likes this.
  16. If you can get your hands on a used Epi El Captain nice 5 string Acoustic/Electric

Xyth and ZuluFunk like this.
  17. orange joe

orange joe I am serious and don't call me Shirley

Sep 7, 2012
    Albany NY
    The Ibanez AEB plays great,is a 32" scale and is affordable

18. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I have one in transparent black. Love it. It is a fiver and it is really pretty.
    Fishman electronics are very good, but changing the battery is a bit of a hassle.
    Sound good amplified, but doesn't have a whole lot of volume un-amped.
    Quality is good. I would recommend it. I think I paid about $285 (used) including a hard case. I thought it was a good deal.

lancimouspitt likes this.
  19. I have a Ibanez acoustic bass. Very pleased and it sounds great amped. I just got the cheap one for summer porch gigs

20. 1954bassman

1954bassman

Jun 7, 2004
    Hickory, NC
    I have one of these -fret less. Of the 20 or so ABGs I have owned, I like this one the best. I have tape wounds on mine. Sounds great run through the the PA (it has an XLR output jack built in). But not much without amplification of some sort. Plays nice and sounds great through a PA.
    Most all ABGs are kind of big and bulky to play, and have neck dive. Of the ones I've owned, none would hold their own in a live acoustic setting.
    Perhaps the strongest ABG I have heard - without amplification was a Taylor and they are rare. Earth wood basses get high marks here on TB.

rtslinger likes this.