1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Wanting an entry level Fretless 5 - Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Funky Ghost, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

I have been enamored with the neck on my Squire Vintage modified Jazz 5. I've never given a fretless a drive but would love to and want it to have the same neck feel that this VMJV does, ideally.

Entry level is where my bank account is at, figure, 500 and under. Any experience or thoughts? I checked and I saw 4 bangers offered by squire but I'm a 5er guy now.

I appreciate any advice.

2. mark beem

mark beem I'm alive and well. Where am I? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
  3. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Nephilymbass and Funky Ghost like this.
  4. Funky Ghost

I appreciate the reply. thank you.

They both look to have a more modern profile neck. I think the reason I've taken to the VMJ is the "big ass thick neck" :D

I really like the feel of it in my hands. The thinner profiles, for some reason, are not comfortable at all to me. My Peavey Cirrus is an amazing sounding bass, but I hate the neck. Too thin and flat. I guess it's an ergonomics thing with my hands.

5. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Squier has a fretless P you might like. Just find one you can play first, you need one with a smooth board and that can be a trick.

eekamike likes this.
  6. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    5 string?

At your price point there aren't very many options. Maybe check Rondo Music.

Misfit Wookiee and Funky Ghost like this.
  7. Funky Ghost

Thanks that's good info. So, I would be better served, with a fretless in particular, to get that sucker in my hands and feel the fret board I'm gathering. I mean, I know in general that's good policy with any instrument you buy, but since I have a decent grasp of the neck profile I prefer ( and what I don't like for that matter ) I had hoped I could forego that part. I was mistaken, it seems.

Again thank you.

@mark beem Yeah, with such a tight budget it really makes it dicey for sure. I had all but resigned myself to a used lower end instrument with little to no chance of flipping it if I don't get on with it. I've even gone so far as to wonder at the cost of have my VMP-V "Jaco'd". The neck on it is fantastic too. That seems drastic but who knows? Maybe have a luthier build me a neck to slap on the J I have now.

8. bassopotamus102

bassopotamus102

Mar 28, 2009
    I have a Dean Edge 6 Fretless and love it. it would fit into that price range and is easily modded.

9. basspedaler

basspedaler Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2013
    RDU-NC
  10. KulNova

KulNova

Oct 9, 2012
    Saigon, Vietnam
    Make an order for a Sire fretless bass. Not so expensive price for a real high quality instrument. That's my suggestion. Dig them out at www.sire-usa.com

eekamike, bholder and OutToPlayJazz like this.
  11. I was about to suggest one of the cheaper Cort models, but then I saw the previous post - the Marcus Miller Sire fretless looks good. I had the ash bodied fretted V7 and it was a great bass for the money.

12. CH Design

CH Design Supporting Member

Apr 25, 2007
    Ottawa, ON
  13. oldNewbie

oldNewbie

Apr 11, 2016
    I picked up a Cort b5 fretless this year from EB very cheap , and although was a good value and made a respectable sound with the low-B flatwounds that came with it, I needed a c string setup with mwah and didn't get that with new pressurewounds . Among issues - not much mwah , it's just not in the wood - playing w/o an amp demonstrates this clearly . Also, the fret markers are , in fact, tape and make for very low frets , I'm sure that takes out possible mwah . Good for playing triple-stops in tune though ! Would have removed those but this instrument has made me realize that I really want a fretboard with a radius , not flat , and since I'm now GAS-ing for something else, might want to sell the thing at some time.

14. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    You can probably find a Carvin in that range if you aren't in a hurry.

deependmusicllc likes this.
  15. hondo4life

hondo4life

Feb 29, 2016
    SC
    This is how I ended up with an SX fretless 5 string jazz. There just aren't many options on the low end.

I love how it plays, but not how it sounds or looks. It is in the midst of some heavy modifications to address those two issues.

16. BIGEJ2

BIGEJ2 Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Happy Valley, PA
    What about ordering a fretless neck for your jazz through Warmoth or All Parts?

17. gully_jones

gully_jones Stone cold groovy man Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2012
    B.F.E.
  18. BassikLee

BassikLee Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    This is the one Rondo sells. I bought it in pieces, and only put as much back together as I had to to get a working bass. I love the damn thing. Weighs nothing, balances great, plays itself, sounds like the voice of god. I have other "much better" basses, spector, peavey, etc. That little rondo holds its own.

Attached Files:

19. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    I had this exact bass for a while. Two things about it. one, the neck radius is compound. It doesn't say so, but it is. Not that there's anything wrong with that... The other, at least with mine, the B, and sometimes E string with it, would get kinda cantankerous. Didn't really like weather changes,so around late spring and late fall, the 3rd-4th fret area would get a little buzzy, so you'd have to change the neck relief a little, and play with the string height a little and then fix the intonation a little, once you were done. Again, maybe it was just mine, and actually not that traumatic really. On the plus side, playing it was like playing a 4 string neck that was just a little bigger. That part was immensely cool!!

20. tekhedd

tekhedd Tone chaser Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2009
    Colorado, USA
    Owner/operator of BYTE HEAVEN
    I just entered this thread to "Like" the first person who said "Ibanez". My work is done.

Although my second thought is "Pawn Shop".