1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wanting that attack, bow sound.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by deadwtxsky, Nov 25, 2010.

1. deadwtxsky

deadwtxsky

Nov 20, 2010
    Would it be ideal to get an envelope filter with one of these knobs? Or should i get a different effect with attack?

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    By "attack" do you mean a slowed-down volume attack, like a bow? "Attack" by itself is like saying "speed" without saying fast or slow, or what parameter exactly is faster or slower. :)

3. deadwtxsky

deadwtxsky

Nov 20, 2010
    yes. slowed-down volume attack. I thought about using a volume pedal. but that can only do so much.

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Boss Slow Gear? or Pigtronix Attack/Sustain?

5. microsynth

6. Explorer

Explorer

Jul 4, 2010
    I've tried a lot of gear to get a bowed attack sound on the bass strings, and the most forgiving and best sounding pedal I've found is the Electro-Harmonix POG2. It works polyphonically, meaning with more than one note at a time, so it doesn't need super clean playing like the EHX Microsynth. You also have the ability to do double-stops or more.

The other option I use which is hugely useful, although monophonic (single note), is the eBow Plus from Heet Sound Products. I prefer the newer Plus model for the thicker bass strings, as it drives them more strongly than the older eBow models do. I also suggest using a bit of palm muting at the bridge to bring down the harmonics.

With both these suggestions, you might want to add a touch of reverb, as with most synth-sounding emulations.

Good luck!

7. CopperheadLXXIX

CopperheadLXXIX

Aug 9, 2003
    Jax, FL
    I have a fair bit of success using the Guyatone "Mighty Micro" version of their Slow Volume. It's a lot more tweakable than most auto-volume pedals, and if you play around with it a bit you can get it to track/reset even on reasonable fast runs.

8. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    Just FTR with the Microsynth, the only part of that effect that cares how cleanly you're playing is the suboctave voice. Everything else on it (oct+1, fuzz, attack swell, filter) works the same regardless of how well you play. If you turn the suboctave voice off, you can play chords all day if you want to.

9. Explorer

Explorer

Jul 4, 2010
    If I recall correctly, though, doesn't the fuzz/square wave go into distortion when you play more than one note at a time? I don't remember how the various octave voices sound with more than one note, but I seem to recall there being numerous reasons I got rid of the Microsynth in favor of the POG2 and the HOG.

Anyway, it's my memory of it that if I had more than one note sounding at once, it caused issues with the attack swell on subsequent notes, which the POG2 doesn't have. I could be wrong, though.

----

I came back to this thread for something else, though. I realized that I forgot to mention that the eBow is designed for narrower guitar string spacing, and that one needs to use fingers and thumb on the outside of the eBow to judge the correct positioning on bass. Other than that, though, it's an awesome piece of kit....

10. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    I tried a bunch of solutions for this - Guyatone Slow Volume, Pigtronix ASDR, BYOC Lazy Sprocket, Ebow+, volume pedals, reverbs set to 100% wet, ramping the feedback on delays, etc - and the thing that worked the best was playing with the volume knob on the bass.

The POG2 looks like it should work, but I gave up on this a couple years ago as I was satisfied with my solution.

11. The POG2 is great as is the VFE Echo Ohce.

And the volume knob if you can get it down correctly.

12. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06

Mar 13, 2009
    San Bernardino,CA
    the VFE Echo Ohce can does this very well, I currently use my EHX BMS XO and as long as no sub octave is added then it won't glitch on you. I use it for a clean volume swell into my EHX Musicman with reverse echo and its insane!

13. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    Eh? The "square wave" already is a distortion. Do you mean it got more distorted? Could you even tell?

It may be that the attack swell doesn't trigger quite so well for the stuff you were trying to do with it. Effects like that never work as well as you'd hope, IME.