Wanting the best of both worlds...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by chaoslord, Jul 16, 2001.

1. Right now (and for the past 2 years or so) I am using D'Addario EXL170-5 strings. I have tried a few different sets by other manufacturers and don't like them as much.

Here's where my problem comes in. I want to try a set of strings with a tapered end (preferably the B and E, but just the B would be fine too) since I have heard good things about them improving sustain and clarity.

I would like to find a set of D'Addarios that are tapered but have so far had no luck, so if anyone could name a set of D'Addario tapers (Nickel Roundwounds only please) or another brand that is as similar as possible to the EXL170-5's please do so.

Thanks in advance.
  2. rsautrey

rsautrey Banned

Jul 27, 2000
    chaoslord, as far as tapered strings, D'Addario makes tapered B strings in Slowound sets. XL sets aren't available with tapered B strings but you can buy tapered XL B strings as singles. Juststrings.com has a large selection of XL singles if you want to puchase separate tapered B strings, otherwise, I'd give the Slowounds a try. The set # for the Slowounds are SW2000-5 which is the exact same gauges as the XL170-5 set you are using. Hope this helps.
  3. Thanks for the replies. I have heard about the Dean Markley SR2000's and if I can't find a D'Addario set or something almost exactly the same then I will probably try them. However I tried the Dean Markley Blue Steels and they were god awful so I'm a bit aprehensive.

The slowounds sound like they might be a good start. I certainly like the fact that they are the same gauge.

They are nickel round wounds correct ? And if you could, how do they compare tonally to the EXL170-5's and also how does their lasting ability compare before they die ?

Thanks again guys, and anyone else, keep the suggestions coming.
  4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Slowounds are the best strings I've ever tried for pure tone and they last a long time as well, many months; although they are never as bright as stainless steel - which is a good thing for me!